[SOLVED] wifi antenna aiming

Feb 25, 2020
I am going to install wi-fi system between two buildings about 600' apart with highly directional antennas.Is there a signal strength meter made for this?

Solution
I am going to install wi-fi system between two buildings about 600' apart with highly directional antennas.Is there a signal strength meter made for this?
Most of the units have signal strength LEDs or have a signal strength display when you log into them. What brand and model are you planning to use? A laser pointer can help with alignment also.
Depends what units you buy. I know the units from ubiquiti have led for signal level for alignment.

Now a simple dumb antenna is not going to have that but you could likely log into the bridge and watch the signal levels. Not sure almost nobody uses simple antenna anymore because the cost of a bridge/antenna/microwave cable is actually more than buying a all in one antenna/bridge unit.

Devices that can actually measure a powerlevel directly are kinda expensive. It would be cheap to buy a ubiquti direction bridge just to use as a pointer.

kanewolf

Titan
Most of the units have signal strength LEDs or have a signal strength display when you log into them. What brand and model are you planning to use? A laser pointer can help with alignment also.

Solution