[SOLVED] WIFI Booster for wired connection

Dec 28, 2021
Hi, was hoping for some advice. I have recently upgraded from fibre to ultrafast fibre. Before the upgrade I had a PS3, PS4 and NOW TV box connected by ethernet directly to the router. However due to where the ultrafast comes in to the house a wired connection is not practical and I have connected these devices via wifi. The router is around 10 feet from these devices, with a direct line of sight. I am only getting speed of 16 mbps on the PS3 and 40 mbps on the NOW box and the PS4. Other devices around the house are getting around 100 mbps so I assume that the problem is with the wifi tech in these older devices.

To get round this I was thinking of using a wifi booster (Netgear N300) connected to an ethernet splitter (TP-Link TL-SG1005D) and then the three devices connected to the splitter.

Any opinions on whether or not this would significantly improve speeds and if so are the booster and splitter I have mentioned good choices. Thanks

Solution
I guess I forgot how old things like ps3 and pc4 actually are. The speeds you get are OK for the wifi technology they use. I don't know about the now box.

I would tend to favor a more modern solution like the one recommended by colgeek rather than the netgear n300. To a point it depends on what you main router uses. Part of your issue with the ps3 and ps4 is your are restricted to using the 2.4g band. Even with a much fancier router than even the n300 you will not get 100mbps.
You might get maybe 60-70mbps with the n300. To get faster speeds you need a device that can run on the 5g radio band. In addition 802.11ac is going to be much faster than the older 802.11n. It is not uncommon to get 150-200mbps on a 802.11ac...
Dec 28, 2021
Hi, because of the layout of the room the router is 10 feet diagonally across the living room floor. Obviously dont want to run a cable across the floor and running around the wall would require multiple bends around doors etc. This is why I thought a wireless connection to the booster and a wired connection to the devices would bypass inadequate wifi cards

I guess I forgot how old things like ps3 and pc4 actually are. The speeds you get are OK for the wifi technology they use. I don't know about the now box.

I would tend to favor a more modern solution like the one recommended by colgeek rather than the netgear n300. To a point it depends on what you main router uses. Part of your issue with the ps3 and ps4 is your are restricted to using the 2.4g band. Even with a much fancier router than even the n300 you will not get 100mbps.
You might get maybe 60-70mbps with the n300. To get faster speeds you need a device that can run on the 5g radio band. In addition 802.11ac is going to be much faster than the older 802.11n. It is not uncommon to get 150-200mbps on a 802.11ac with a 1200 number on it.

Now none of this matters if your main router is older also. Your main router would need a similar 1200 number or larger to take advantage of this.

Solution
Dec 28, 2021
For the information of those who took the time to reply and anyone reading who may be in a similar position.

I decided to give my idea a try and ordered TP-Link RE505X AX1500 extender. The PS3 download speed has gone from 16 to 28 mbps and rhe NOW box from 40 to 78 mbps. Haven’t used a splitter/switch yet but I am happy with the improvement.