Wifi button stays orange

Status
Not open for further replies.

rptd

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
In hp laptop, the wifi button stays orange.

I have tried the following
1. In device manager, check network adapter properties, it is enabled there.

2. Restore BIOS to default

3. pressing fn and f12 keys while windows is booting up.

4. Installed the hp wireless assistant but it says "the device has been disabled by wireless button and cannot be enabled"

I need some help in this regard.

Thanks

Solution
We still don't know your make and model number of laptop.
Anyhow, I read this. Sometimes software is used in HP models to disable the switch and the wireless network card.....so look into this:

"What you have to do is: go to Mobility Center (via control panel or right-click energy icon on systray) and click on turn wireless ON button! You may have to tap your wireless touch switch once again to enable it over hardware, BUT IT MIGHT WORK. Here, it did! (switching batteries, powering the laptop without battery, driver update, all that stuff, didn`t work for me. Good luck)."

rptd

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013

I have tried this without Ethernet cable but it remains orange.

We still don't know your make and model number of laptop.
Anyhow, I read this. Sometimes software is used in HP models to disable the switch and the wireless network card.....so look into this:

"What you have to do is: go to Mobility Center (via control panel or right-click energy icon on systray) and click on turn wireless ON button! You may have to tap your wireless touch switch once again to enable it over hardware, BUT IT MIGHT WORK. Here, it did! (switching batteries, powering the laptop without battery, driver update, all that stuff, didn`t work for me. Good luck)."

Solution

rptd

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
The laptop is hp pavilion 15 e005.
The button is still orange.
But when I tried again to connect to network, this time it connected to wifi.

I think button is orange because bluetooth is disabled. However it was not connecting to wifi a short time ago.

Thanks to all

The light at the top of the keyboard is the button. It does not look like a button. Press it and wait as much as two seconds for the color to change. You will then need to re-establish a connection to the wireless router. Click on the wireless icon next to or near the clock in the task tray of your screen. Choose a connection from the list that appears.

This is from a different thread and different model, but worth a try. I have seen it on a Toshiba after looking for hours for a stupid switch.

rptd

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013

yes its not listed there, I dont know why.

rptd

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013

I tried that, but its still orange. I think it is because Bluetooth drivers are not installed.

chirl2

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014

Thanks, I disabled using Device manager, network adapter properties and then re-enabled using properties, it turned my wifi back on.

sahadeobates

Reputable
Apr 30, 2014

I had similar problems with a toshiba system and i couldn't get the drivers for it. turns out that the computer is listed on the Canada's website with the drivers. perhaps hp have same.....

sahadeobates

Reputable
Apr 30, 2014
whilst all these suggestions are good, please ensure you unplug any external hard drive, mouse, keyboard etc., i had similar problems and when i unplug them i was able to turn on the wifi

Eduax

Reputable
Jun 9, 2014

Eduax

Reputable
Jun 9, 2014
SOLUTION

1. Shutdown and Remove the Battery
2. Hold the Power Button in Seconds
3. Switch On the Power using DC. do not insert battery
4. Press F10 to Enter Setup. . . Setup Default then Save Changes
5. Press the Wifi Switch (if it is Solve)
6. You can Insert your Battery If you want.

I HOPE IT WILL HELP YOU

popscott

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
I scoured the internet for answers to this problem. I have HP assistant.
I tried all the above and then some. Remove battery, hold 30 sec. reset bios etc..... none worked.

My solution was not in the HP assistant part.....Vista

Go to control panel, Windows Mobility Center.... you can turn on the wireless network there in the uppe right area. Problem solved for me.

ARBY15

Reputable
Apr 12, 2015
My wireless button (F12) was doing the same thing this morning which led me to this post. I stumbled upon 'HID-Compliant Wireless Radio Controls' in Device Manager under Human Interface Devices. Right Click on the HID-Compliant Wireless Radio Controls and ensure it is enabled. Mine was disabled. Now it works fine. I have an HP Pavilion TS 15 Notebook. (Also make sure the HP Wireless Button Driver is listed under the HID-Compliant radio control).

Sir Tin

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015
I was experiencing the same problem, My Compaq Presario CQ60-211DX laptop had a failure in the hard drive
and it corrupted my recovery partition so I had to reinstall windows from scratch, after the new install
the ORANGE LIGHT for wifi would stay on as expected (no drivers for the wifi card installed yet) the message I was receiving
was the same ( Device disabled in device manager, go there and enable it) the name for my wifi card
did not even appear anywhere in my device manager so I didn't even know what model wifi card I had to go on
and download the drivers and if I pressed the
orange wifi button it would say (The device has been disabled by wireless button) even though it was already
disabled to begin with. The compaq website for my model laptop showed 4 different drivers for the wifi,
all different brands .. I tried one, did not work ... tried a second brand, didn't work either .. Finally got
to the third model "ATHEROS WIFI" model, installed it and the light turned green and wifi was working
again, I want to believe a corrupt driver for the wifi will also cause the ORANGE LIGHT out of nowhere
and the solution would just be to reinstall the drivers for your card.

Dputzjr

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
I have found this happens with my laptop when ever there is something syncing (dropbox/Google Drive/Fitbit). Some reason the Wifi light stays orange and when you click the power button the computer goes turns off. Only way I can fix it is turn off the syncing program.

Silvano_1

Commendable
May 2, 2016

Undocked my laptop and the wifi switch is now working, but not when docked.

Status
Not open for further replies.