Question WiFi card showing as wifi 4 in modem settings

GingaMilla

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2014
We've recently upgraded our internet to Zen Internet which is full fibre broadband here in the UK. 900mbps connection. We got sent a Fritzbox 7530AX by Zen.

The internet has been installed today & while checking the connected devices on the fritzbox UI telling me i'm using a wifi 4 card but infact it's a wifi 6? 'n/Wi-Fi 4, 40 MHz, WPA2, 2 x 2, 11k, 11v' is what's showing up in properties. The wifi card I have is a 'Ziyituod WiFi 6E AX210 PCIE WiFi Card'. How come it's showing incorrectly? I'm also connected to the internet using 5Ghz.

Thanks for the help!

Edit - Changed to 2.4Ghz and now shows up as 'ax/Wi-Fi 6, 20 MHz, WPA2, 2 x 2, 11k, 11v'.. But speeds are worse(I know 5ghz is faster) but this is very confusing as to why 5ghz won't display as wifi 6?

Last edited:
So your router is only kinda wifi6 it only support 80mhz radio bands. The 160mhz is the key feature that makes wifi6 faster.

That though does not explain why it thinks it is connecting with 802.11n. Could it be a signal strength thing where it is negotiating a slower rate. Are there any setting in the nic setting that let you limit stuff...like forcing it to 40mhz rather than allowing 80mhz channels.

Maybe try a different channel on the router.

GingaMilla

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2014
So your router is only kinda wifi6 it only support 80mhz radio bands. The 160mhz is the key feature that makes wifi6 faster.

That though does not explain why it thinks it is connecting with 802.11n. Could it be a signal strength thing where it is negotiating a slower rate. Are there any setting in the nic setting that let you limit stuff...like forcing it to 40mhz rather than allowing 80mhz channels.

Maybe try a different channel on the router.
Appreciate the response!

Will have a play around in the settings once family have gone to bed. If that doesn't seem to work, would you recommended I go out and buy my own router? Was something I planned on doing anyway before the ISP gave me one.

GingaMilla

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2014
Think I've sorted the issue. For some reason channel was set to manual not auto now changed it it's showing up properly as wifi 6. However, the speeds it's showing don't match my speed test.

Down - 680/ Up - 864

Speeds above are to my PC but when doing speed test it's only 430mbps up/down.

That would be because the numbers you are seeing for the wifi are not actual speeds they represent the data encoding method. They represent some unrealistic lab configuration to get those as actual speeds.

The key one is wifi is half duplex. They are basicially adding upload and download speeds together. That would be like calling your ethernet cable 2gbit, except ethernet is full duplex and can actually send 1gbit and receive 1gbit at the same time.

If you get anywhere close to 1/2 the speed you are doing very good. Most times you might only get 1/3 to 1/4 because the more complex the encoding the more chance of damage and retransmissions.

TRENDING THREADS