[SOLVED] Wifi connected but no internet

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
Just recently my internet randomly disconnected. And it’s been a mix between can’t connect to this network error, and connected but no internet. So I moved my pc next to my router, and all of a sudden it works, move back to my room, nothing. I got the antenna’s to point out my door and still it says can’t connect to this network, or I connect and nothing happens. The connections also show up, I get 2-4 bars in 5ghz band, and 4 bars on 2.4ghz band. I really don’t want to set up camp next to my router, so any possible fixes would be much appreciated. Quick note, the internet works fine on every device in the house, and it used to work perfectly fine with my pc, but just now it dosent work. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Does not make a lot sense that network works closer when you think the wifi itself is actually connecting. The distance itself should have very little impact on it at least partially working. It might get more errors at a long distance and run slower but if it connects it should at least partially work.

I would try the ipconfig /all command. You should be able to actually see if the wifi is connected and if it is getting a IP address from the main router. If you said it didn't work no matter the distance I would suspect things like dhcp and other network settings but if it works next to the router then all this stuff has to be correct.....which is why it is a strange problem.
Does not make a lot sense that network works closer when you think the wifi itself is actually connecting. The distance itself should have very little impact on it at least partially working. It might get more errors at a long distance and run slower but if it connects it should at least partially work.

I would try the ipconfig /all command. You should be able to actually see if the wifi is connected and if it is getting a IP address from the main router. If you said it didn't work no matter the distance I would suspect things like dhcp and other network settings but if it works next to the router then all this stuff has to be correct.....which is why it is a strange problem.

Solution

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020

i have done a bit of fiddling around, and figured out my computer only connects when im around 3M in range, which is awful. when i move next to my router, the connection is terrible, but yet it shows 4 bars on both bands. but nonetheless, i moved next to my router, and typed in ipconfig /all and it says my dhcp server just renewed my ip lease, and that it expires tommorow?? i went back to my room, and typed the same command, and well, nothing happened. the internet wont connect, now it just says cant connect to this network, and when i move closer it connects but nothing works. ive also tried using another computer and putting the network card in there, and the same problem is still occurring, so its definetly a wireless card problem. right now my only solution is to buy another wifi card. if your still able to pitch some ideas, that would be awesome. and also, ive tried just about everything on the internet, ive even reset my pc. thanks in advance!

It does sound like a defective wifi card. Could be that it can receive the signal but the transmitter is not putting out enough power so the router can not hear the pc wifi nic. In general even when things are working good the signal from the end device back to the router tends to be the source of problems because many nic cards do not put out the full legal power.

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
It does sound like a defective wifi card. Could be that it can receive the signal but the transmitter is not putting out enough power so the router can not hear the pc wifi nic. In general even when things are working good the signal from the end device back to the router tends to be the source of problems because many nic cards do not put out the full legal power.
That’s makes so much sense, would you have any ideas as to why the transmitter isn’t receiving enough power? Are there any software based solutions, or are there some hardware based ones?

They have the wifi radio chips pretty locked down to prevent people exceeding the fcc power limits. The only feature related to transmit power is used to reduce it and even if the chipset has the feature many routers or pc drivers do not have the option. By default the radio will transmit at the factory setting which usually is the legal maximum but not always true on end devices. Some of those tiny nic cards have low transmit power to save on battery. We as end consumers can do nothing really with wifi, we can set things like the SSID and password and some other minor things but all the really good stuff seems to be either set when it is manufactures or requires software that is only released to the manufactures and is under NDA agreements so you never see anything on the internet.

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
They have the wifi radio chips pretty locked down to prevent people exceeding the fcc power limits. The only feature related to transmit power is used to reduce it and even if the chipset has the feature many routers or pc drivers do not have the option. By default the radio will transmit at the factory setting which usually is the legal maximum but not always true on end devices. Some of those tiny nic cards have low transmit power to save on battery. We as end consumers can do nothing really with wifi, we can set things like the SSID and password and some other minor things but all the really good stuff seems to be either set when it is manufactures or requires software that is only released to the manufactures and is under NDA agreements so you never see anything on the internet.
Surely there’s something I could do, because this has happened out of no where, and I haven’t fiddled with the card either. Or would it just be best to buy a new network card?

Pretty much the only thing you can do is try other device drivers. Maybe microsoft push a defective driver with one of their windows update patches. I never let windows update drivers

The default settings are generally the best but there is not really any setting that you can change that would cause this.

Unless you have a very fancy wifi card it should not cost a lot to replace. If it is a expensive card maybe throw away $5 and buy one of those crappy tiny USB devices just to test. I would never use those and they may not even work if your distance is too large.

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
Pretty much the only thing you can do is try other device drivers. Maybe microsoft push a defective driver with one of their windows update patches. I never let windows update drivers

The default settings are generally the best but there is not really any setting that you can change that would cause this.

Unless you have a very fancy wifi card it should not cost a lot to replace. If it is a expensive card maybe throw away $5 and buy one of those crappy tiny USB devices just to test. I would never use those and they may not even work if your distance is too large.
I have a tp-link archer t6e, it costs me around $60 aud. I’ve gotten the drivers from there website, but I don’t know if there the correct ones. Could you do one last thing for me, and find the right drivers just in case I got it wrong. Thanks so much for your help btw!