[SOLVED] Wifi connection issues - specific to one device

Jul 17, 2020
Hi, hoping for some help.

In the process of working from home for the last 4 months, I have had two different desktops have connection issues with our home wifi - a brief overview;

• The signal shows up and is at maximum strength when wifi adapter is turned on
  • Sometimes it will connect first time, other times it will refuse to connect and will take 5/6 attempts - other times it will ask me to re-enter the password saying something has changed (this still does not connect me)
  • The connecting, when secured is not stable - sometimes I can stay connected for hours, other times it will disconnect or show I am connected but with no internet access
  • The connection is around half the speed when connected via a cable connection (via a plug socket adapter).

I originally suspected there was an issue with the networking card in the PC (newly built, not by me) - but I was advised that is more likely down to the connection that the device (backed up by the fact I had similar issues on a work desktop device I borrowed). It was suggested that the issues are due to my distance from the router, but we have devices connected in the same room (iPad, phones, a Dell laptop) which all have perfect wifi connection and do not have any issues, so I don't understand how this can be the case?

Details of the specifics for the device in question below;

Network Adaptor on PC - EVO Labs N300 300Mbps (drivers are up to date)
Router - Virgin Media Super Hub 2 (made by Netgear)
Operating System - Windows 10 Pro (Version 1909)

ISP - Virgin Media
Security Type - WPA2-Personal
Protocol - WiFi 4 (802.11n)

Number of devices vary, but in standard periods;
-2 phones
-2 iPads
-1 Laptop
-Sky TV box

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: CamDrusdel
Solution
Does the following link show the USB wireless adapter that you are using?

http://starflexsystems.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2469

Overall those adapters are made as cheaply as possible and at some point deteriorate in performance. Often getting very warm or even hot when that deterioration occurs.

Does not take much to cause problems such as you describe.

Are you able to feel the adapter as things progress to determine if the wireless adapter is very warm or even hot? Feel carefully.

If so, try using a USB extension cable to move the wireless adapter away from the pc.

Moving the wireless adapter away from the PC may provide improved cooling and allow some additional flexibility with respect to...

Ralston18

Titan
Does the following link show the USB wireless adapter that you are using?

http://starflexsystems.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2469

Overall those adapters are made as cheaply as possible and at some point deteriorate in performance. Often getting very warm or even hot when that deterioration occurs.

Does not take much to cause problems such as you describe.

Are you able to feel the adapter as things progress to determine if the wireless adapter is very warm or even hot? Feel carefully.

If so, try using a USB extension cable to move the wireless adapter away from the pc.

Moving the wireless adapter away from the PC may provide improved cooling and allow some additional flexibility with respect to positioning and improving the signals (sending and receiving). The adapter's ability (actually inability) to send may be the issue.

Solution