[SOLVED] Wifi connection slow

Jul 8, 2019
Ever since I got my new computer I've been having trouble with my WIFI connection. It is very slow and is telling me I'm only at one bar meanwhile my family members are all at full bars. I asked my friends if they know what the problem is but they have no clue, so I came here.

Important information:
I have Verizon FiOS
The router is only one floor below my PC (Not that far according to my friends)
My PC is a pre-built HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 790-0020
My monitor is an ASUS MG248QR Gaming Monitor

I don't know if any of this information helps and I'll try and get all the details you ask for I just don't know what to put.

Last edited:
Solution
These get lost many times with all the post on this site.

Still it appears your fundamental issue is you are getting poor wifi signals. That can not really be fixed by software. Some houses absorb huge amounts of wifi.

Now your pc not having a antenna maybe the problem. Antenna location is critical to good reception and if it was not installed on the back of your machine it could very well be the problem. Most have small copper connectors on the back of the wifi card. Since this is some prebuilt thing from HP maybe they mount them inside the case...it would have to be plastic. Don't know you need to research how the antennas are connected or look inside to try to figure it out.

Many times though there is just no solution...

Ralston18

Titan
Does not take much to interfere with a wireless signal and those bars are not all that reliable per se.

What wireless network adapter are you using: built-in, PCIe, USB? Make and model?

Are you sure that only one network adapter (wired or wireless) is enabled on your new computer? One or the other - not both.

Who has full admin rights to your home router? The router's logs (if available and enabled) may provide some clue.

And, also with respect to the router, you need to work with the router's admin to ensure that your network adapter is properly configured for wireless connectivity to the router.

On your new PC - are you able to run and post the results of "ipconfig /all" via the command prompt?

Jul 8, 2019
Does not take much to interfere with a wireless signal and those bars are not all that reliable per se.

What wireless network adapter are you using: built-in, PCIe, USB? Make and model?

Are you sure that only one network adapter (wired or wireless) is enabled on your new computer? One or the other - not both.

Who has full admin rights to your home router? The router's logs (if available and enabled) may provide some clue.

And, also with respect to the router, you need to work with the router's admin to ensure that your network adapter is properly configured for wireless connectivity to the router.

On your new PC - are you able to run and post the results of "ipconfig /all" via the command prompt?

I'm pretty sure my wireless network adapter is built-in. I don't know what make and model it is and I don't know where to check.
Only have one network adapter is enabled.
Everyone in my house has full admin rights to my router, because it's wireless. I don't know where to check the router's logs.
I don't know what that means. (Sorry)
Yes, here they are:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-BT9VG7H
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : fios-router.home

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 10-E7-C6-10-AB-0D
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : fios-router.home
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : FC-01-7C-20-CD-C1
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::193c:553:ebc5:e8a2%9(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.194(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, July 8, 2019 4:22:11 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, July 10, 2019 5:27:58 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 83624316
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-22-6E-D4-71-10-E7-C6-10-AB-0D
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
Connection-specific DNS Suffix Search List :
fios-router.home

Ethernet adapter Hamachi:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : LogMeIn Hamachi Virtual Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 7A-79-19-09-4C-2D
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2620:9b::1909:4c2d(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::591e:5b67:92cb:38ae%22(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 25.9.76.45(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, July 8, 2019 4:21:58 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, July 7, 2020 4:21:58 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 2620:9b::1900:1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 25.0.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 805458162
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-22-6E-D4-71-10-E7-C6-10-AB-0D
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 1:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #3
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : FE-01-7C-20-CD-C1

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 13:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #4
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : FC-01-7C-20-CD-C1

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : AnchorFree TAP-Windows Adapter V9
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-FF-0F-17-65-B1

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : FC-01-7C-20-CD-C2
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

What u just provided have minimum impact on my views, I work with real numbers. Numbers say the truth.

So SLOW doesn't tell me anything, run a speedtest and post result.

Everybody has a cellphone right, so too, run a speedtest on your phone at the same location where the PC is. Compare results with above. Ideally run these test when nobody is at home or they all asleep.

Verizon FIOS, again doesn't tell me anything, What is the speed of the Internet service purchased?

Is there an antenna on the back of the PC? be sure is screwed on snug.

Jul 8, 2019
What u just provided have minimum impact on my views, I work with real numbers. Numbers say the truth.

So SLOW doesn't tell me anything, run a speedtest and post result.

Everybody has a cellphone right, so too, run a speedtest on your phone at the same location where the PC is. Compare results with above. Ideally run these test when nobody is at home or they all asleep.

Verizon FIOS, again doesn't tell me anything, What is the speed of the Internet service purchased?

Is there an antenna on the back of the PC? be sure is screwed on snug.

My router has 2 networks, one is called FiOS-VL604, and the other one is called FiOS-VL604-5G. My dad said that the FiOS-VL604 had a weaker connection but had more range, meanwhile the FiOs-VL604-5G had a stronger connection but is only used for downstairs. I don't know if any of that info helps but I put it there anyways.
I also don't know what a speedtest is so I searched it up on Google and it gave me this:
Mbps download
Mbps upload
Latency: 6 ms
Server: New York, NY
Your Internet speed is typical
Your Internet connection should be able to handle streaming an HD video. If multiple devices are streaming video at the same time, you may run into some slowdowns.
The FiOS-VL604 is 400 Mbps and the other one is 900 Mbps (I think)
Also, I don't have an antenna behind my PC. Am I supposed to have one?

Still it appears your fundamental issue is you are getting poor wifi signals. That can not really be fixed by software. Some houses absorb huge amounts of wifi.

Now your pc not having a antenna maybe the problem. Antenna location is critical to good reception and if it was not installed on the back of your machine it could very well be the problem. Most have small copper connectors on the back of the wifi card. Since this is some prebuilt thing from HP maybe they mount them inside the case...it would have to be plastic. Don't know you need to research how the antennas are connected or look inside to try to figure it out.

Many times though there is just no solution when a house eats too much of the signal. You could consider powerline units.

Solution
Jul 8, 2019

Many times though there is just no solution when a house eats too much of the signal. You could consider powerline units.

do you know what the antennae is called so i can buy one? im having trouble finding one.

The antenna connectors are pretty standard now days. You can just search for wifi replacement antenna.

You will find a bunch of different ones but you really only need 5db. The ones with higher db in theory will give more signal but they are pretty big and the increase is only slight.

Key is still do you have connectors on the back of your machines. They are small copper colored threaded connections. If not the it gets more complex. They sell short cable that have the tiny connector that goes to the internal card and the standard connectors you mount to the antenna.