Question Wifi connectivity issues at home

Mar 25, 2019
I am having problems with my home Wifi connection. My laptop kept dropping out when I restarted the computer or turned it back on the next day. This happened for a while. But now I cannot connect to the Wifi at all. However the smart phones in the house are able to connect with no issues. I am not tech savvy.

My laptop is a HP Envy 17 Notebook PC
My router is a Huawei HG 659 Home Gateway
Intel(R) Wireless-N 7260 Driver version: 18.33.15.1
I'm running windows 8.1

My ISP is Bigpipe which uses the Spark network in New Zealand. I'm on ADSL

There are two smartphones and one laptop connected to my router by wifi

The network connections window says Wifi “attempting to authenticate”

Under the network link it says “can't connect to this network”

I have checked on the HP page to update the network adapter driver and I currently have the updated version.

I have disabled and enabled my network adapter. I have also un installed and re installed my network adapter.

I clicked on manage known networks, and then “Choose a network to forget”. I forgot the connection. Then I clicked on network icon and the link says “Can't connect to this network”. Perhaps I need to “Remember” the connection again somehow. I'm not getting any windows asking me for my wifi password.

Any suggestions?

Are you sure that's the model of your Intel wireless adapter?? The 7260 is a wireless AC variant. The driver may not be correct?? Most laptops have an easy to access cover underneath, usually just a few screws and you can take the cover off and verify the exact model.

If you have an older wireless adapter, i've seen issues with older types of authentication passwords not working. I've had to switch peoples routers to WPA1 from WPA2 to make them work.

If you can log into your router, I would recommend that you temporarily disable the wifi security, and make it an open network to rule out physical problems with the actual hardware.

Mar 25, 2019
Thank you, I'm not sure that I listed the correct wireless adapter, I just googled the specs and copied it. I'll unscrew the back and check. I'll try all these recommendations and post again tomorrow. Thanks

Mar 25, 2019
Are you sure that's the model of your Intel wireless adapter?? The 7260 is a wireless AC variant. The driver may not be correct?? Most laptops have an easy to access cover underneath, usually just a few screws and you can take the cover off and verify the exact model.

If you have an older wireless adapter, i've seen issues with older types of authentication passwords not working. I've had to switch peoples routers to WPA1 from WPA2 to make them work.

If you can log into your router, I would recommend that you temporarily disable the wifi security, and make it an open network to rule out physical problems with the actual hardware.

Mar 25, 2019
Sorry for tardy response. It's OK to take the back off? Not a problem if dust gets in? I've looked underneath, just a few screws to take the bottom off if it's safe to do so.

Yea, it's meant to be taken off. It's a service panel to access your ram and pcie cards and hard drive.

Dust won't be a problem, the real problem of dust actually comes through the fan of the laptop, nothing you can do about that other than clean it.