[SOLVED] Wifi disconnect every 24 hours for ~10 seconds but can still ping the entire time

nitrocide

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2012
I recently installed a new router (Netgear R6700AX) and ever since then I've been having a 10-15 second disconnect on all devices connected to wifi every 24 hours exactly. Things like video streams will buffer for a few seconds on any device and come back, and online games will disconnect, but I tested having a ping running in cmd and terminal on my phone before this happens and it never drops any packets on my phone or PC. Since the DHCP lease is set to 24 hours it makes me assume it is that, but I don't know what I can do to fix it and I don't know how I don't lose packets. I gave my PC a reserved address outside of the DHCP IP pool and it still happens. I've been trying to figure this out for over a week now so any ideas are appreciated.

Solution
actually, i do agree it will cause disruption as when a new ip address is assigned , a particular app will disconnect and then try connecting again...

The ip configuration data is lost and then renewed again, so yeah, imo it will cause disconnection ...
Actually, that is not how a DHCP lease works.
A DHCP lease does not necessarily changes an IP address when the lease expires.
An new IP address is issue only if the previous IP address is taken while the client was offline.

If a devices is online (connected) during a DHCP lease expiration time, a DHCP client automatically attempts to renew its lease way before it expires. This could happen as soon as 50 percent of the lease duration has expired.

So in the OP case, if...
Are you referring to DHCP lease for the WAN port or the DHCP leases of the Netgear router to connected clients?
Either way, a DHCP lease time shouldn't cause disconnecting issues.

I have a Netgear RAXE500 that had similar disconnecting issues and where caused by NETGEAR Armor.
After disabling it, the disconnecting issue stop.
I contacted NETGEAR and they say they were working on a fix and it was fixed after the latest firmware release.
So upgrade your firmware if you have not done so.

Last edited:

nitrocide

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2012
Are you referring to DHCP lease for the WAN port or the DHCP leases of the Netgear router to connected clients?
Either way, a DHCP lease time shouldn't cause disconnecting issues.

I have a Netgear RAXE500 that had similar disconnecting issues and where caused by NETGEAR Armor.
After disabling it, the disconnecting issue stop.
I contacted NETGEAR and they say they were working on a fix and it was fixed after the latest firmware release.
So upgrade your firmware if you have not done so.
The DHCP for connected clients. The firmware has been updated and I haven't enabled Armor. I also tried disconnecting everything for a few minutes really late at night to see if it would change the 24 hour time to start then, but it did not.

The DHCP for connected clients. The firmware has been updated and I haven't enabled Armor. I also tried disconnecting everything for a few minutes really late at night to see if it would change the 24 hour time to start then, but it did not.
I do not think it has anything to do with the DHCP lease.
It could be an issue with the router itself or a bug on the firmware.
Try resetting the router and giving it a different SSID name than the default and a different IP address (e.g. 192.168.0.1).
Some router have hiccups when the modem and router used the same IP address (192.168.1.1).
To change the IP address go to ADVANCED > Setup > LAN Setup.

actually, i do agree it will cause disruption as when a new ip address is assigned , a particular app will disconnect and then try connecting again...

The ip configuration data is lost and then renewed again, so yeah, imo it will cause disconnection ...
Actually, that is not how a DHCP lease works.
A DHCP lease does not necessarily changes an IP address when the lease expires.
An new IP address is issue only if the previous IP address is taken while the client was offline.

If a devices is online (connected) during a DHCP lease expiration time, a DHCP client automatically attempts to renew its lease way before it expires. This could happen as soon as 50 percent of the lease duration has expired.

So in the OP case, if the router has a 24 hour DHCP lease, the client will start requesting a new DHCP lease around the 12 hour mark.
The DHCP client sends a DHCPREQUEST packet to the router and if the router is working properly , it renews the lease and sends the client a DHCPACK packet with the new lease.
If the DHCP client is working properly, it updates its configuration when it receives a new lease.

Even if the DHCP server (router) does not respond, the DHCP client continues to use its current configuration until it expires.

Also , static IP addresses do not have a DHCP lease, so they should not get disconnected.

Reactions: bill001g and Sohom
Solution
What do you ping.

If you can ping the router IP but not say 8.8.8.8 it could be the internet connection going down. Since the DHCP leases do not expire at exactly the same time, each device has 24hrs based on when it got its IP, it is unlikely multiple devices would be dropped exactly at the same time.

This seem more like your internet connection or something in the path is dropping. It could be DHCP on the router wan but it can be many other things. Does it do this if you plug directly into the modem. Do you still have your old router so you could test and see if it is something strange with the new router.

nitrocide

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2012
What do you ping.

If you can ping the router IP but not say 8.8.8.8 it could be the internet connection going down. Since the DHCP leases do not expire at exactly the same time, each device has 24hrs based on when it got its IP, it is unlikely multiple devices would be dropped exactly at the same time.

This seem more like your internet connection or something in the path is dropping. It could be DHCP on the router wan but it can be many other things. Does it do this if you plug directly into the modem. Do you still have your old router so you could test and see if it is something strange with the new router.
I've always thought of google as a reliable thing to ping so I just do that whenever I test connection. My public IP stays the same after the disconnect happens. I haven't tried directly connecting to the modem but my old router didn't do this. It started dropping to half speed or even lower just randomly throughout the day, which this new router has fixed.

TRENDING THREADS