Question WiFi Dongle not Recognized

Sep 26, 2023
Looking for suggestions on using a WiFi/Wireless dongle (USB 2.0) to connect to mobile phone (Google Pixel) for internet.

This is for a new PC, built on MSI B550a-Pro motherboard, running Windows 11. All USB ports (USB 3.0) are working for other USB devices, and I'm also able to connect with a cable-tethered option.

Can't see any driver's on MSI's support page to fix this issue, and there are no available drivers for the dongle (a cheap Ebay purchase).

The dongle works 100% fine on other computers.

_
View: https://i.imgur.com/AWryVSB.jpeg

Last edited:

Mr.Tibbs

Commendable
Oct 22, 2021
The driver for 902.11n WiFi. That is WiFi 4.
WiFi 5 is 802.11AC. WiFi 6 is 802.11AX

What do you get with a WiFi 5? 4G LTE is widespread. We can upgrade to 5G LTE and the network for it is not available yet.

Seems I did not see this post. Not sure what the above post is about since you are using wifi and not mobile broadband LTE.

You really should never depend on windows/microsoft for device drivers. I would look in the device manager screen rather than the one you linked. You should see device manager if you right click the windows icon on your screen.

If you look in the network tab you might find your device along with yellow exclamation point. You should be able to load a driver manually from this panel. In most cases you can see the actual chipset the device is using and get drivers from the chipset maker. Your other computers that work should also show you the driver name and chipset that works.

If it does not show under network devices check under the USB on the device manager. It is unlikely but maybe you need some USB driver first.

Mr.Tibbs

Commendable
Oct 22, 2021
Seems I did not see this post. Not sure what the above post is about since you are using wifi and not mobile broadband LTE.

You really should never depend on windows/microsoft for device drivers. I would look in the device manager screen rather than the one you linked. You should see device manager if you right click the windows icon on your screen.

If you look in the network tab you might find your device along with yellow exclamation point. You should be able to load a driver manually from this panel. In most cases you can see the actual chipset the device is using and get drivers from the chipset maker. Your other computers that work should also show you the driver name and chipset that works.

If it does not show under network devices check under the USB on the device manager. It is unlikely but maybe you need some USB driver first.
The website where I pay my bill, I have that network tab with the yellow exclaimation point. SERVICE HEALTH. That checks internet
& WiFi & Devices. Devices shows the yellow tab and then when I have this problem another screen comes up to reboot the WiFi network gateway.

When you change out and swap a new more advanced router modem, you may have to use this feature from the website DNS server. Then if you put back the original router modem, again use that to put you back in the original network.

Is the new network even there everywhere as the coverage yet?
I may not have the WiFi 6AX yet, so I put back the original router modem with WiFi 5AC.

Sep 26, 2023
The driver for 902.11n WiFi. That is WiFi 4.
WiFi 5 is 802.11AC. WiFi 6 is 802.11AX

What do you get with a WiFi 5? 4G LTE is widespread. We can upgrade to 5G LTE and the network for it is not available yet.
Phone service is on 4G network. As mentioned, phone + dongle works 100% fine on other computers in the same location. Also: other computers have had windows reinstalled many times and never require specific driver d/l to make this work. I've even installed a Linux distro on an old laptop, and can get the dongke and phone connected without any problem.

So the problem is with one computer only.

Sep 26, 2023
@Mr.Tibbs @Ralston18 @bill001g

After a lot of troubleshooting based on earlier suggestions (thanks everyone), re-installing AMD and Realtek drivers, and examining the device manager (including hidden items), I was still unable to recognize the dongle.

So.... I went back to the computer it's been working with, and..... NOTHING ! It's no longer working. As a troubleshooting exercise, I'm happy with this outcome, as it suggests that the dongle has developed a fault.

I'll look into buying another one, or maybe a PCI wifi adaptor to permanently install on the new computer. I'm guessing this type of device will be OK for using with mobile phone internet ? I do not have home broadband.

Alternatively, I wonder if I'm able to repurpose an old router/modem as a conduit between my phone and computer ? I have an TPlink router in storage somewhere, but never used it for this type of application.

You old router would need a feature called client/bridge. If it has a "repeater" mode then that might work also.

It is not real common on older stuff.

You could try it but basically it would run as a wifi nic card you connect via ethernet.

Part of your problem is buying really cheap stuff. Those extremely small usb device you buy even when they are made by better known companies perform poorly. They are really meant for the portable market where small size and low battery power usage are important.

In general the best USB device you find for a desktop come with a long USB cable so you can place the unit away from the metal case of your computer and they are physically 2 to 3 times as large as the unit you got. Antenna size make a large difference.

Sep 26, 2023
@bill001g

Thanks Bill. This is a new topic for me to learn about, so I'll do some research over the weekend.

You're right about the cheap dongle. I don't expect much from such product, and probably only paid $10 for it. Not the slightest but disappointed that it's finally failed.

I'll also look into the specs of my TPlink router, it's not that old... I bought it around five years ago when I had home broadband installed (which is now not in service)

TRENDING THREADS