Wifi driver problem

adamzach5

Commendable
Apr 15, 2016
I apologize beforehand because I am fairly computer illiterate and maybe my doubt is stupid. I have a Toshiba Satellite A100-00a model laptop whose motherboard had to be changed a few years ago. The replacement motherboard (NOT FROM TOSHIBA BUT TOSHIBA COMPATIBLE) has been working properly. I have never used this laptop to connect to the internet through wi-fi, either before or after the replacement of the motherboard. I have always connected to the internet through the ethernet port (wired connection). Going through the original specifics of this model I came to know that my original motherboard had wifi features. described below from the Toshiba website:

Compliancy: Wi-Fi ™
Network Support: 802.11a / b / g
Manufacturer: Intel® PRO / Wireless 3945ABG LAN Mini PCI adapter integrated in Intel® Centrino® Duo Mobile Technology
Wireless Technology: Wireless LAN (802.11a / b / g)

What I'm not aware of, is that if my current motherboard has "similar features" or not. Under device manager/Network Adapter I just have this one Intel Pro/1000 PL Network connection, but when I select "Show hidden devices", it gives me a whole lot of other names of which one is "Intel Pro Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection - Avast! Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport", but I do NOT have just "Intel Pro Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection". Is it possible that I have the hardware required for wi-fi but since I don't have the required drivers yet, it doesn't show up under Network adapters/Device Manager?

OS: Windows Vista Home Premium SP2, 32-bit. Antivirus: Avast Internet Security 2016, Replacement Motherboard model MPAD - MSAE Customer Reference Boards (U1)

Intel Pro/1000 PL is for wired connection using ethernet cable.

Intel Pro Wireless 3945ABG is obviously for a WiFi connection.

So yes, you do have the hardware to use WiFi.

Why you would say "it doesn't show up under Network adapters/Device Manager" is a mystery because it definitely IS listed - you seem to be contradicting yourself.

adamzach5

Commendable
Apr 15, 2016

Sorry for the confusion but "Intel Pro Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection" is NOT listed. What is listed instead is "Intel Pro Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection - Avast! Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport". Are both one and the same? Thanks for the help.

I understand now - - Intel Pro Wireless & Avast Firewall NDIS Filter are listed together as a single entry in Device Manager - - right?

I have not seen this type of entry before since I have never used Avast Internet Security.

However, after doing some research it seems that you should still have a separate entry just for the Intel Pro Wireless 3945ABG (without Avast Firewall NDIS Filter).

Have you actually tried scanning for available wireless networks on your Toshiba?
That will tell you if your laptop has a working WiFi capability or not.

adamzach5

Commendable
Apr 15, 2016
Sorry for the late reply and Yes, you're right, " Intel Pro Wireless & Avast Firewall NDIS Filter are listed together as a single entry in Device Manager" but there is NO single separate entry for "Intel pro Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection" under the Device Manager. I used a software called Nirsoft driverview to see a list of all installed drivers in my system and that showed me an entry "NETw3v32, Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG Adapterdriver for Windows Vista 32bit, Network driver, Group NDIS, Intel Wireless LAN Driver, Version 10.6.0.29". But the entire entry has a yellow icon on the side meaning it is installed but not activated. I also used another software called Driver Reviver and it showed me the entry "Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection" entry with the remark "Unplugged" along with it.I don't know how to turn it on if it doesn't even show up under device manager. I also think maybe the driver version is outdated. Is it possible that this driver has self deactivated after the motherboard replacement and that the new motherboard doesn't even have a wireless LAN card?

I tried to scan for available wifi networks but I couldn't. "Connect to a network" doesn't even have an Wireless/Wifi entry. Before changing my motherboard, there used to be a switch on the side of the laptop, flipping which would turn a LED light orange, but now nothing happens when I flip it. Toshiba Flashcards show all Function keys from F1 to F9 except F8 ( Hitting the Fn key together with the F8 key turns the wifi on in Toshiba laptops).