[SOLVED] WiFi drops during a power cut, even with the router connected to the UPS

Nov 9, 2020
When the power goes out the I lose Internet access even though the WiFi router is connected to a UPS.

Some lights on the router remain on but all my devices lose Internet access until the power comes back on.

I'm not sure I fully understand what the problem really is...

WiFi Router: D-Link DIR-615 Wireless N 300

I'm running Windows 10.

Solution
You have to be very careful when you describe a issue. If your modem loses power the wifi is fine between the router and the end device. The problem is the data is then pretty much stuck in the router and can't get out of the house to the internet. You could I suppose transfer files between machines in your house.

Plug the modem into the UPS and it should work fine. Most ISP have USP on equipment on their end also so you should be able to use internet with the power out in your neighborhood.
connected to a UPS

Doesn't your UPS have to change battery from time to time? I think that UPS-es' batteries aren't eternal, though maybe living more than laptop batteries.
What makes you sure that your UPS has a charge, or the battery/the UPS are working at all?
And if it's working, with charge in the battery, then are you sure it can hold all the wattage you press it with, including the Router?
Was it all working normally (as expected) before?
And when your router turns off, can you restart it and does it then work normally while connected to the UPS?
What is the UPS - brand, model?

Nov 9, 2020
Doesn't your UPS have to change battery from time to time? I think that UPS-es' batteries aren't eternal, though maybe living more than laptop batteries.
What makes you sure that your UPS has a charge, or the battery/the UPS are working at all?
And if it's working, with charge in the battery, then are you sure it can hold all the wattage you press it with, including the Router?
Was it all working normally (as expected) before?
And when your router turns off, can you restart it and does it then work normally while connected to the UPS?
What is the UPS - brand, model?

I just bought the UPS a few days ago. This is the first time it's been used. The UPS turns on just fine.

I think it should be able to provide power to the router for a while...
The power at my place doesn't go out for more than a few minutes at a time and the router is the only device connected to it.

The UPS beeps and starts supplying power to the router when the power goes out.

A few lights on the router remain on... the rest disappear. But I lose internet access on all my laptops, tablets, smartphones, etc.

UPS: Brand- Microtek
Model- MTKUR65
SKU- UPS Legend 65

Did you try another device(s) with the UPS - the computer/a laptop without battery/recharging mobile phone/heating an oven/TV/etc?

If I wasn't clear, can it work normally after a restart/replug of the router, or call it whatever, or it can start to work normally only if the electricity where you live is on?

Nov 9, 2020
Did you try another device(s) with the UPS - the computer/a laptop without battery/recharging mobile phone/heating an oven/TV/etc?

If I wasn't clear, can it work normally after a restart/replug of the router, or call it whatever, or it can start to work normally only if the electricity where you live is on?

I'm sorry I didn't get what you meant right away. Yes, I've tried another device with the UPS. The UPS is functioning fine. The wifi router is being supplied power by the UPS. But the wifi keeps dropping nonetheless. The loss of internet access also causes some lights on the router to stop blinking and turn off.

D

Deleted member 14196

If the power is being cut to the house then your Internet device is going to lose the Internet and your devices won’t have Internet access any more regardless of being plugged into a UPS

I'm sorry I didn't get what you meant right away. Yes, I've tried another device with the UPS. The UPS is functioning fine. The wifi router is being supplied power by the UPS. But the wifi keeps dropping nonetheless. The loss of internet access also causes some lights on the router to stop blinking and turn off.

I count this as yes to both answers, though it's good to try this with a few devices, as close to your router in the terms of watts and usage as possible, to see if there are any drops in performance, interruptions or similar things. Like stopping to recharge the phone battery for a moment or such.

If you can, try what happens if u put a cable (1-2 extension cords) between the UPS and the router. I had a system where a faulty component could work normally with a previous mini-system, but only if I put an extension cord in between.

If the power is being cut to the house then your Internet device is going to lose the Internet and your devices won’t have Internet access any more regardless of being plugged into a UPS

*If the internet is dependent on the electricity in his/her house, or on his regional electricity yes, but as I understood, only the router is dependent around here? I usually can use my internet(s) if I lose just the home electricity due to some service in the city or the district. If the service/office is dependent on the electricity, that turns off not only for the OP, but for the office, too, then yes, this might be it.
What internet exactly do you use? A cable that you just plug into the router or?

Nov 9, 2020
There are other people in the surrounding region that have the same ISP as me and are able to retain internet access for the few seconds/minutes between the mains power being cut and the backup kicking in. They do this using a UPS.

I've just not needed to do it until I returned to living in this city. And I've forgotten if I'd faced any similar issue when I was living in this city 3 years ago but I do remember my parents' place here had a UPS for the wifi router and it worked fine.

You have to be very careful when you describe a issue. If your modem loses power the wifi is fine between the router and the end device. The problem is the data is then pretty much stuck in the router and can't get out of the house to the internet. You could I suppose transfer files between machines in your house.

Plug the modem into the UPS and it should work fine. Most ISP have USP on equipment on their end also so you should be able to use internet with the power out in your neighborhood.

Solution
Nov 9, 2020
I count this as yes to both answers, though it's good to try this with a few devices, as close to your router in the terms of watts and usage as possible, to see if there are any drops in performance, interruptions or similar things. Like stopping to recharge the phone battery for a moment or such.

If you can, try what happens if u put a cable (1-2 extension cords) between the UPS and the router. I had a system where a faulty component could work normally with a previous mini-system, but only if I put an extension cord in between.

*If the internet is dependent on the electricity in his/her house, or on his regional electricity yes, but as I understood, only the router is dependent around here? I usually can use my internet(s) if I lose just the home electricity due to some service in the city or the district. If the service/office is dependent on the electricity, that turns off not only for the OP, but for the office, too, then yes, this might be it.
What internet exactly do you use? A cable that you just plug into the router or?
I have an Alcatel-Lucent modem that connects via an ethernet cable to my router that provides my devices with wireless internet access.

Nov 9, 2020

Yeah, I thought that might be the issue. I should have described it better. Sorry about that.

Nov 9, 2020
It was really stupid of me to forget to plug in the modem to the UPS as well. That should solve the issue. The UPS & router were working fine.

Thank you for the help guys!
Sorry if I wasted your time. I'll be more careful with my queries on the forum in the future.

D

Deleted member 14196

hey, great to see you got it solved! we all learn new things everyday. it's not stupid to not know something or forget sometimes. it's human.