Question WiFi Drops when installing large files

billybob713

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2015
I'm starting to use my PC again after some time away and the Wifi is presenting me problems. I'm in a separate room from my router but that has never presented me any issues in the past. However, now when downloading large files like game updates the Wifi continuously drops out. It will work fine during web browsing or playing games but as soon as I start downloading a file it will drop, or within a few minutes drop. What will happen is the speed starts to slow down over 30 or so seconds and then I will either be connected to the Wifi with no internet access or disconnected entirely. I've been able to resolve it two ways, either disconnecting and reconnecting (which sometimes works), or restarting the network adapter (which always seems to work). My network adapter drivers are up to date so not clear what's happening here. Wifi is also working fine for the rest of the network. Appreciate any support.

Below are my PC specs:
NZXT Kraken M221
MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFIBlack
MSI GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti VENTUS
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.6GHz
NZXT C850 Gold Digital PSU
G. Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB 3600MHz

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
INTEL 3168 from 2016? Probably dying/unstable when the chip gets hot.

Get a PCIE based INTEL 6E ( ex: AX210) adapter, or even WiFi 7

Looks like yours is a M.2 E-Key module, then you can buy a M.2 E-key module.

But I still prefer PCIE adapter with extended antennas.

Last edited:
Could be as simple as a poor signal level. Try the standard change the radio channel, use a different band 2.4,5,6. Maybe move the PC so the antenna are not blocked.

Wifi re transmits data when it gets errors. This of course means more traffic. As you increase your traffic doing downloads you are also increasing the number of errors. What can happen is the retransmitted data also takes errors and get transmitted again. On a poor wifi connection it will cascade until the wifi adapter decides it is too many and will try to re neogtiate the speed. This will cause it to slow down. At some point it will just give up and reset the conenction.

Hard to say it is also a symptom of a bad wifi card.

Can you test with the pc very close to the router. That though will not really tell you the true cause of the issue just that the problem is wifi related.