Question WiFi extender mesh or power line?

hudson1984

Honorable
Jun 14, 2013
Hi all, just after some advice. We’ve a fairly large house and are struggling to get decent WiFi in the rear rooms and the garage which is a bit of a pain.

Now, mostly we connect via wireless which is pushing me toward a mesh system however none of our internet is huge demand. The amazon stick in the rear room doesn’t take Ethernet so would be connected wirelessly and most other items use WiFi. I do game in the lounge and we’ll be using the PlayStation etc so could possibly make use of Ethernet for that.

Essentially it’s a case of what to get? A range extender? Power line with WiFi? Mesh?

We do have a summer house that’s powered and listen to Spotify in the garden so a power line out there would probably have more chance of success than a mesh node.

My thoughts were:
Main router with power line 1
Power line plugged in upstairs
Power lines plugged in at far end of ground floor - WiFi mostly but Ethernet for gaming devices
Power line plugged in to summer house.
Maybe one connected in the lounge for Ethernet gaming.

Do they each clone their own WiFi or is each one a new “network”? As that would be a pain!! Ideally I just want to be able to go from one end of the property to the other and have decent connection. And be able to stream in the rear room. Don’t want to buy power line gear to then Wish I’d bought mesh

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Remember, powerline depends heavily on the quality of your wiring - and distance traveled.

If a newer house, it's probably viable. Depending on the length to the summer house.... that may or may not be viable.

I'm thinking a combination of the two is probably what you'd end up with - but since you need the Wifi regardless, start with that and see how you fare.

It depends on the setup you have. Some can truly 'mesh' wifi signals and reassign you automatically. Others, more commonly (like traditional access points) would require you to manually navigate between the different 'networks'.