[SOLVED] Wifi Extender stuck at Obtaining IP Address

Status
Not open for further replies.

rellinstrella

Reputable
Jul 15, 2018
The main router signal does not reach my room so I tried to use a Wifi extender. I was able to connect to the extender during configuration, placing all the details to connect to the main router and even made a different ssid for the extender itself. The problem is after configuration, my devices cannot connect to the extender. On my phone, it gets stuck in "Obtaining IP address" and in my Windows PC it just says "Identifying...".

This only happens when the extender is connected to the main router. I found out that when it is not connected to the main router(turned off, far away), I am able to connect to the extender. But when the main router is turned on and the extender connects, i cant connect to the extender again.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Solution
Can't offer any other advice then, except to say I stopped using an extender as I found them more trouble than they were worth and even when connected the speed took a nosedive.

I use a pair of powerline ethernet adapters now -- worth every penny. Give them a try.

rellinstrella

Reputable
Jul 15, 2018
Initial setup of an extender should be done with it placed near the router (ie in the same room). After successful setup the extender can then be moved nearer to where it's needed. Is that how you did it?

Yes that is how I did it. The phone or laptop fails to obtain ip address once the extender has connected to the router. It only gets stuck at "Obtaining IP Address" on Android and on ym laptop it simply does not connect to the extender

Can't offer any other advice then, except to say I stopped using an extender as I found them more trouble than they were worth and even when connected the speed took a nosedive.

I use a pair of powerline ethernet adapters now -- worth every penny. Give them a try.

Solution
Feb 8, 2020
Hi

I found that the issue is sometimes that Wi-Fi range extender could be on a different subnet such as 192.168. 0. 1 and your router could be on 192.168.1.1. make sure you set your Wi-Fi extender on the same subnet as your router and provide your Wi-Fi extender a static IP with the gateway as your router. Also make sure that DHCP is turned off on the Wi-Fi extender and let your router provide your devices IPs.
Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.