WiFi Extender vs Wireless Network Adapter

Tamboh

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
Heys guys, i recently moved rooms in my house causing me to be quite far from the modem, and unable to remain using an ethernet cable. Just curious which would be better, a WiFi extender or a wireless network adapter for my PC
The 2 I've been looking at are here(price isn't really an issue):
Wireless Network Adapter
WiFi Booster

CrimsonLuke

Reputable
Mar 31, 2015
I'd go with the wifi booster purely because you can connect to it using multiple devices where as the network adapter would only be used for your PC.

g90814

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013

Pooneil

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
Powerline networking is a good option. They are problematic in that there is no way to tell how well they will work for any particular installation. Get the fastest rated adapter you can find at a reasonable budget and buy from a store with a good return policy.

A secondary option would be to run an Ethernet cable as close as possible to your room and set up an access point. Then get the wifi adapter.

BTW, if your use is for network gaming, then a long reach on WiFi will likely be unsatisfactory because latency in the network. Range extenders tend to introduce additional latency as well. Also AC wifi and N wifi on 5 GHz band is problematic over a distance with obstructions in the way. So again, buy with returns in mind.

Tamboh

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
I think i've been convinced to get the powerline adapter, ill be gaming and watching videos a lot, but that's fine?