WiFi frequently disconnects, even when using a USB WiFi adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

adsoyo

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
My laptop is a Compaq Presario CQ57 that I bought new for $200 back in 2012. I have since maxed out the RAM with 8GB and upgraded to an SSD. About 4-5 years ago it started having trouble connecting to and then staying connected to WiFi. Didn't matter if it was home, hotels, or friend's houses. It would hardly ever connect to anything to the point it was basically useless. I bought a Rosewill RNX-N180UBEv3 and WiFi worked perfectly again until the last year or so. Now the Rosewill can hardly connect to anything to the point it is basically useless and the built-in WiFi is now working more consistently. It still disconnects regularly but at least it connects to a network in the first place. I'm wondering if this is a hardware problem or a Windows problem. If it's hardware, I'll buy a more modern WiFi adapter. If it's Windows, then maybe I'll bite the bullet and finally install Windows 10 (currently still running 7). I'd rather not replace the laptop since it still does everything I want it to do including run Firefox with multiple tabs, run automotive calibrating software, and run Duke Nukem 3D.

adsoyo

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
Went ahead and installed a TP-Link T2UH that I've been using with the living room PC for a few years. It's never had an issue and so far it's been pwning all day today with the laptop. We'll see if it lasts...

Status
Not open for further replies.