Question wifi help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobal83

Reputable
Oct 6, 2017
I have a Toshiba l650 and i need a faster wifi card for it. it only connects to 2.4 and i want to connect it to 5.0 in my house. I use it here at home and thats it. Any ideas or suggestions?

I think the question on the router is mostly to see if it has 802.11ac. Your laptop wifi card is very old so maybe the router will be old.

In general any card that will physically fit, it is likely a half size pcie, will work. You want to check how many antenna connections you have and match that. You also need to check if your current card has bluetooth support and buy a new one that also does.

You should be able to buy a dual band 802.11ac card to match your router. The big BUT here is with a laptop that old are you running windows 10. If not be very sure the new card has drivers for older windows versions.

I would first see if there is a video on how to dissemble your laptop to get to the wifi card. Some are very simple and others are a pain. If it is very involved you may want to consider a USB based wifi card. Avoid those very tiny devices they work very poorly.

Status
Not open for further replies.