Wifi Networking suggestion

berezini

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017
I use comcast for my internet using my own wired network. I also have a security dvr i'd like to hook up to the public wifi hotspot xfinity provides. The catch is that i need some kind of device like a wifi bridge that is able to login to the hotspot via the start page and provide Ethernet connectivity to the dvr since the dvr does not have wifi. Any suggestions? wifi N is more than enough bandwidth just need something stable and dependable. I am trying to avoid running an Ethernet cable clear to the other side of the building.

berezini

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017

its in a multi unit structure which shares power circuits with the entire building and outdoor lighting so not very secure as far as networking goes ( i dont want to open up holes to internal network) and also, i mentioned i use my own wired cable modem with no wifi, there is however another unit where our dvr is and that public wifi signal is not managed by us where i need to login using our account credentials. It just seems to be the best solution for me. xfinity saves MAC address used to access xfinity hotspots so i can use a linux box to connect and register the wifi bridge not to need to sign in but still need a device that would be simple and reliable. I am aware of Alfa R36 and Alfa AIP-W525HU units that are able to do it but they require two pieces of hardware and not make install very clean so im still looking for options

wbchengs

Prominent
Jan 2, 2018
You can have wifi with encryption enabled, also you can enable mac address filtering form the Router or the Access point, also you could connect the WIFI with a firewall such as linux box to make it more secure

berezini

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017

From what I am seeing is that you havent realized what I am trying to do at all.
I cannot enable encryption on a device that is located at a neighboring business. In other words, your completely off topic.