Question WiFi problems when Laptop is plugged in

chaichonghern

Reputable
Dec 31, 2017
Hi everyone,hope y'all having a great day! I'm having a problem here with my old 12 year old laptop (Lenovo G460) that I recently upgraded it. One of them are the mini pci-e network cards.

The problem I'm experiencing and giving me headaches right now are as below :

When WiFi is enabled and connected in Windows 10 and if laptop ac is plugged in, after about 1 - 5 mins, WiFi will be disconnected automatically and froze the whole PC that led to a need of hard restart.

I tried the laptop without plugging in and using just the laptop's battery, the WiFi works well and doesn't have any issue till I plugged the ac back again and same thing after 1 - 5 mins, same thing happen.

Another weird thing is, if I boot the PC up without plugged in and connected it to WiFi, I have to go to example youtube videos, and play it simultaneously and plug in and it works well till I off the youtube tab in chrome and then without any internet usage, same thing happens again.

Just stating that these problems are also happening on the old network card that comes from Lenovo, that's why I bought a new card as I thought the old one was a faulty one.

I tried almost everything such as reinstalling drivers, downgrading to Windows 7, power options, reinstalling the network card, updating drivers. Hope someone can help me out. Thank you!

Ralston18

Titan
On the laptop verify that only the wireless network adapter is enabled.

Only one network adapter, either wireless or wired, should be enabled for use. Not both at the same time.

Also, for testing purposes, try turning off all power savers. Just as a matter of elimination.

And take a look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing some error code, warning, or even an informational event preceding or at the time the WiFi gets disconnected.

chaichonghern

Reputable
Dec 31, 2017
Hi there, I have checked event viewer and found that there is a bunch of Distributed COM error before the freezing happens.

Yellow Warning Error Sign :

The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239}
and APPID
{316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97}
to the user WIN-6TC9SEM7LPD\Administrator SID (S-1-5-21-1218629514-1053023625-1242421498-500) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_10.0.19041.1320_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy SID (S-1-15-2-155514346-2573954481-755741238-1654018636-1233331829-3075935687-2861478708). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Yellow Warning Error Sign : View: https://imgur.com/a/suf0SCn

Red Critical Error : View: https://imgur.com/a/xnkvg8t

chaichonghern

Reputable
Dec 31, 2017
On the laptop verify that only the wireless network adapter is enabled.

Only one network adapter, either wireless or wired, should be enabled for use. Not both at the same time.

Also, for testing purposes, try turning off all power savers. Just as a matter of elimination.

And take a look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing some error code, warning, or even an informational event preceding or at the time the WiFi gets disconnected.
Hi there, found that all the event viewer errors aren't related to the network card.

But I found something interesting though.

Steps that I did that temporary make the network card work for that boot up (after restarted pc problem comes again and need to do the steps before each boot up) :

1. shut down pc
  2. turn on pc and boot into windows
  3. go to device manager and uninstall the default windows installed driver for the network card (in my case it is 802.11n driver adapter for my card)
  4. turn on network card and scan hardware changes in device manager and let it install the default driver again
  5. i update the driver manually and select 802.11ac or 802.11g both works.
  6. turn off allow pc to turn off hardware to save power
  7. connect to wifi and done

But the weird thing is I can't connect to 5G wifi, but only 2.4ghz. Also speed in 802.11g is damn slow but better on 802.11ac but can't connect to 5ghz.

If I stay on the new manual installed driver and restart pc without doing anything, the problem comes again and I have to do the steps again.

What do you think, maybe a driver problem or something else?

Ralston18

Titan
What network card is installed? You should be able to determine the card via Device Manager and/or "ipconfig /all".

And consider that the card may have failed in some manner.

Again: verify that only one network adapter either wired or wireless is enabled. One network adapter only.

Remember that you can click the Network icon usually found in the lower right hand screen corner. (Looks more like a monitor screen to some people.)

Drivers first:

Instead of using Window's network card drivers manually download the applicable drivers directly from the manufacturer's website.

Reinstall and reconfigure.

If the problems continue then run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt. Post the results.

chaichonghern

Reputable
Dec 31, 2017
What network card is installed? You should be able to determine the card via Device Manager and/or "ipconfig /all".

Again: verify that only one network adapter either wired or wireless is enabled. One network adapter only.

Remember that you can click the Network icon usually found in the lower right hand screen corner. (Looks more like a monitor screen to some people.)

Drivers first:

Instead of using Window's network card drivers manually download the applicable drivers directly from the manufacturer's website.

If the problems continue then run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt. Post the results.

I tried it the first time with the following steps

1. i was booted up without the network card on
  2. disable all other network adapters
  3. install the driver for the network card

It works for the first time. Then I restart pc and do nothing about it since its automatically connected to the wifi and the issue comes again.

Here is my ipconfig
View: https://imgur.com/a/U1PUV8i

chaichonghern

Reputable
Dec 31, 2017

Drivers first:

I found another weird fix, if I plugged in a usb wifi dongle and connected to the network together with the network card also connected to the wifi, then I plug the usb dongle out and the network card stays connected to the wifi, and the problem is solved for that time until the next bootup of windows 10, weird....

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Not sure about that "fix" but having two network adapters enabled is going to cause confusion unless there is a specific reason for having two network adapters -such as bridging. And the laptop must be properly configured in order to do so.

(If interested, google "laptop bridging".) Example link FYI:

https://blog.rottenwifi.com/wifi-to-ethernet-bridge/

Not necessary for most home networks.

As for the ipconfig /all results:

Is that the full result? Normally the results are much more extensive.

1) The lease time time for DHCP IP addresses is only one hour. Technically not a problem but I recommend at least 24 hours. My lease time is a week.

2) If you do not have IPv6 service then disable. And even if you do have IPv6 there is no harm in disabling IPv6 for testing (or even permanently) if IPv4 is working well.

3) Most USB wifi dongles are able to receive fairly well. However, their transmission abilities can be weak. Meaning they can "hear" but not fully "talk back" to the router. Moving the laptop around, using a USB extension cable to raise the USB wireless Wifi dongle up and about may help some.

chaichonghern

Reputable
Dec 31, 2017
Not sure about that "fix" but having two network adapters enabled is going to cause confusion unless there is a specific reason for having two network adapters -such as bridging. And the laptop must be properly configured in order to do so.

(If interested, google "laptop bridging".) Example link FYI:

https://blog.rottenwifi.com/wifi-to-ethernet-bridge/

Not necessary for most home networks.

As for the ipconfig /all results:

Is that the full result? Normally the results are much more extensive.

1) The lease time time for DHCP IP addresses is only one hour. Technically not a problem but I recommend at least 24 hours. My lease time is a week.

2) If you do not have IPv6 service then disable. And even if you do have IPv6 there is no harm in disabling IPv6 for testing (or even permanently) if IPv4 is working well.

3) Most USB wifi dongles are able to receive fairly well. However, their transmission abilities can be weak. Meaning they can "hear" but not fully "talk back" to the router. Moving the laptop around, using a USB extension cable to raise the USB wireless Wifi dongle up and about may help some.

Hi there the temp fix doesn't work anymore for some reason, and yes that's a full list of the ipconfig all in cmd. I tried disabling IPv6 and it doesn't helps with the problem.

Yesterday, I use drivereasy to update drivers in my laptop, and found a SATA AHCI driver. Updated it and the network card works for about 2 - 3 times of the reboot and usage without any problems. Then till now the problem started again.

Ralston18

Titan
Go back into both Reliability History and Event Viewer and take another deeper look at the errors being captured.

Also look in Update History for problems.

That "on again and off again" behavior by the wireless network card is likely to have some pattern with respect to the problem(s) returning.

For example: is there some failed or problem update just prior the problem reappearing? Is there some other app or utility being launched beforehand?

And again, install the network drivers directly from the manufacturer's website.

I googled and found a couple of potential sources:

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=Broadcom+BCM943228HMB

https://drivers.windows10download.c...apter-driver-7-35-331-0-for-windows-10-csxix/

Compare version numbers: what version is now downloaded and installed?

Drivereasy may work or seem to work then gets corrupted in some manner or some conflict occurs making connectivity fail again.

What SATA AHCI driver did you find and where?

Did you try changing the DHCP IP address lease time on the router?

chaichonghern

Reputable
Dec 31, 2017
Go back into both Reliability History and Event Viewer and take another deeper look at the errors being captured.

Also look in Update History for problems.

That "on again and off again" behavior by the wireless network card is likely to have some pattern with respect to the problem(s) returning.

For example: is there some failed or problem update just prior the problem reappearing? Is there some other app or utility being launched beforehand?

And again, install the network drivers directly from the manufacturer's website.

I googled and found a couple of potential sources:

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=Broadcom+BCM943228HMB

https://drivers.windows10download.c...apter-driver-7-35-331-0-for-windows-10-csxix/

Compare version numbers: what version is now downloaded and installed?

Drivereasy may work or seem to work then gets corrupted in some manner or some conflict occurs making connectivity fail again.

What SATA AHCI driver did you find and where?

Did you try changing the DHCP IP address lease time on the router?
Hi there,

I tried to increase DHCP lease time on my router which it limits me at maximum 48 hrs. But it didn't fix the problem, but I did the following things.

When I update the drivers, I only see that bcmihvsrv64.dll and bcmihvui64.dll are copied to System32 folder only. Then I tried copying the other remaining files that was included in the .cab driver folder to the System32 folder and it seems like it doesn't freeze my PC when there is a problem with the internet (disconnecting me).

Then I tried when windows 10 boots up, I will need to go to device manager and disable the broadcom driver and then update to 7.35.290.0 from 2015 and then it will auto enable the driver back again and everything works well. Till when I restart or I shutdown and boot up. I have to go to device manager, disable driver, update and same thing to solve it. If I restart pc or boot up without doing the following, the same problem still came but instead now, it doesn't freeze my PC anymore.

This temporary "fix" works well from last night till now, it isn't like the other temporary "fix" that I found which only applicable to just several reboots.

Might this be a driver corruption? I also ordered another network card to replace and see, which its from Intel 7260BN network card. Once it reached I can try that if it has any issues or not.

Ralston18

Titan
And no network/network card related error codes, warnings, or even informational events in Reliability History and Event Viewer?

Other than the Distributed Com 10016, etc..

Look for any changes in error codes and/or patterns that match or otherwise follow the fixes and other things you have tried.

= = = =

In your post #8, you mentioned trying a wireless USB dongle - make and model?

About all I can think of for the moment is to (if possible) try another USB Wireless adapter.

Hopefully you can borrow another known working USB wireless adapter from a family member or friend for testing purposes.

Disable the laptop's current network adapters and install the USB wireless adapter.

chaichonghern

Reputable
Dec 31, 2017
And no network/network card related error codes, warnings, or even informational events in Reliability History and Event Viewer?

Other than the Distributed Com 10016, etc..

Look for any changes in error codes and/or patterns that match or otherwise follow the fixes and other things you have tried.

= = = =

In your post #8, you mentioned trying a wireless USB dongle - make and model?

About all I can think of for the moment is to (if possible) try another USB Wireless adapter.

Hopefully you can borrow another known working USB wireless adapter from a family member or friend for testing purposes.

Disable the laptop's current network adapters and install the USB wireless adapter.

In Event Viewer the only related messages are the below message :

1) WLAN Extensibility Module has successfully started.

Module Path: C:\Windows\System32\bcmihvsrv64.dll

2) Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter : Has determined that the network adapter is not functioning properly. (This message comes out rarely, mostly is 1st and 3rd)

3) Same as 1st message but instead, it is stopped and then started then laptop froze.

I don't see anything in Reliability History, and also my previous USB dongle is Tenda Wireless. But the fix don't seems to work now. Only the latest "temp fix" that I mentioned above still working till now. Unfortunately, I can't get hold with any other Wireless USB dongles right now :(

chaichonghern

Reputable
Dec 31, 2017
Also some times, example, every morning when I wake up, when I turn on my laptop usually I can't connect to the network, I have to do the "fix" which is disabling the network driver from device manager and manually direct it to the .cab folder to install the driver (cannot choose the ones that are provided by microsoft, must be from the .cab folder). But it just works well for the first boot up in the morning, doesn't have any issues. Then later on in the day, if I shutdown or restart the problem will comes again and I have to do the fix again. This only applies on every morning 1st boot up. It's weird, but worth mentioning.

Ralston18

Titan
There is another way to look at what is happening.

Bit more involved and tedious but could prove helpful.

First you may need to install Process Explorer. Free, Microsoft.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Once installed, open Process Explorer and simple look around, observe, get a sense of what information is being presented and how to navigate around.

No urgency or immediate objective. Simply to learn. Take no immediate actions.

Then start using Process Explorer in a more deliberate manner.

Check what processes are running (or maybe not running) when the laptop is first turned on in the morning and has no network connection.

Apply the fix and look for any changes in the processes that are running. Or processes that start or stop.

My thought is that the fix is indeed a fix but some other process undoes the fix. Starts running, stops, tries to save power, update, etc....

Also look in Resource Monitor, and Task Manager.

If you can identify a process that runs after the fix is applied but is not being started when the laptop is booted then it may just be a matter of enabling something.

chaichonghern

Reputable
Dec 31, 2017
There is another way to look at what is happening.

Bit more involved and tedious but could prove helpful.

First you may need to install Process Explorer. Free, Microsoft.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Once installed, open Process Explorer and simple look around, observe, get a sense of what information is being presented and how to navigate around.

No urgency or immediate objective. Simply to learn. Take no immediate actions.

Then start using Process Explorer in a more deliberate manner.

Check what processes are running (or maybe not running) when the laptop is first turned on in the morning and has no network connection.

Apply the fix and look for any changes in the processes that are running. Or processes that start or stop.

My thought is that the fix is indeed a fix but some other process undoes the fix. Starts running, stops, tries to save power, update, etc....

Also look in Resource Monitor, and Task Manager.

If you can identify a process that runs after the fix is applied but is not being started when the laptop is booted then it may just be a matter of enabling something.
Hi there, I can't really find anything unusual at all in the Process Explorer at least for me. Only the wlanext.exe runs when there is network connectivities and doesn't when wifi doesn't work.

But I found another same "fix" like the one works even till now which is the disabling the driver in device manager and updating it with the 2015 driver stated above. Now this fix is me creating a bat file which inside of it has the commands stated below. This also works till now without any issues and without the need of reinstalling driver like the first fix. Just need to run the bat file and that's all. This fix also works on AC power and also on battery without any issues.

The commands :

pnputil /disable-device "PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4359&SUBSYS_05E214E4&REV_00\4&C74C28E&0&00E1"

pause

pnputil /enable-device "PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4359&SUBSYS_05E214E4&REV_00\4&C74C28E&0&00E1"

pause

Last edited: