[SOLVED] WiFi reinstall problems ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

emcee2

Prominent
Aug 6, 2021
Once upon a time… I had working wifi, not so much anymore.

Quick background, then on to the problem. I live in a small log cabin near(ish) to the Canadian border. Which is relevant because that means I have a satellite connection to the internet. For several years that meant a thin trickle of data supplied from HughesNet’s satellite system. Then came Starlink to the rescue, and I love it. I get soooooo much more for less money. I got in on the beta and have been happy ever since, until my original dish (aka Dishy McFlatface) quit dishing. After I sent off a quick message to Starlink they said my dish was bad and they would sent me a refurbished model 2 dish as a replacement. It took awhile to arrive, but once it did, all was fine, except for my PC. Both Macs, all of the phones and tablets in the house and the Android TV all came back to life right away. Not so much for the PC. I’ve now made it worse by following a couple YouTube “experts” (files were deleted that I wish had not been) and now I’m here with hat in hand…

The wifi is not working. At this point, I’ve attempted to reinstall drivers but they do not show up. The device Manager does not list any WIFI devices, even after “Show hidden devices” and “Scan for hardware changes”. There is no WIFI under “Network Connections.” A ping to “ping 127.1.1.1” returns as excepted.

I’m still new to PCs and am clearly in over my head. I tried a reinstall of Win 10 today (with the keep data and apps setting) but no joy.

Looking for any help I can find.

System info below.
Thanks,

Solution
I don't see any wifi or Bluetooth. They are built into the motherboard and not PCI cards per say. (Holding out hope) Should they still show up on one of these lists?

Code:
ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Desktop$ lsusb
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 0bc2:2344 Seagate RSS LLC Portable
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. Hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 1462:7c84 Micro Star International MYSTIC LIGHT
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 05e3:0626 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB3.1 Hub
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 0bda:0411...

emcee2

Prominent
Aug 6, 2021
The WiFi / Bluetooth card is now installed. Wifi is working fine out of the box. I don't currently use any Blueteeth ;-) devices, so haven't tested it yet, (I will before my return window expires). Thanks again.

Before I start a new thread, can you point me to a resources / site or whatever that introduces me to Linux apps that would be equivalent of what I've used on the Mac and Windows 10? I know Blender is there but that's about all I know. Any personal recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Time to log off from this Mac and switch over to the PC. (I can now return this old Mac Mini into it's job as a media server).