[SOLVED] Wifi seems to be faster tha ethernet ping wise.

Aug 3, 2020
Hi all, I would like help with the setup of my network.
I currently get ping spikes very often I.e. 2-5 times per min and makes games unplayable.
My setup is as follows: Router-wifi booster in AP mode (Hardwired)- my xbox through the wan/lan port. I believe what is happening is that the wifi has priority over the ethernet connection (Packets wise as my download speed is still the same) When I connected my xbox wirelessly to the AP booster, I had 1 ping spike every 5-10 mins. Would a solution be to this to buy a ethernet splitter and have one going to the AP Booster and the other hardwired connection to my xbox so I get the connection simultaneously instead of having to wait for the wifi then my turn through the router?
Router----Ethernet----AP Wifi extender----wired/wireless to xbox
Could I alter it to have it as Router----ethernet cable---ethernet Splitter= one straight to xbox and other port to booster, would this keep my ping stable and allow me to keep optimal download speeds?

Solution
An odd problem as Ethernet in your local network should have a latency of <1ms, far less than wireless. In computers you can determine which connection is primary, in fact Windows allows you to list all networks in usage priority in an advanced section of the network control panel.

I would check my Ethernet cables for integrity before buying anything else.

But you could try placing a small (4 or 5 port) unmanaged gigabit switch in the location that you are calling a splitter, as they are quite inexpensive, to see if it will help.

RealBeast

Titan
An odd problem as Ethernet in your local network should have a latency of <1ms, far less than wireless. In computers you can determine which connection is primary, in fact Windows allows you to list all networks in usage priority in an advanced section of the network control panel.

But you could try placing a small (4 or 5 port) unmanaged gigabit switch in the location that you are calling a splitter, as they are quite inexpensive, to see if it will help.

Reactions: Qryno
Solution
Aug 3, 2020

That could work, I was mostly thinking it was the AP because it seemed that the wifi was getting priority over my ethernet connection. That's why my ping was better when connected t ok wifi. I might buy a switch soon. Thanks for the help!