Wifi solution for DSL

decksmeck

Honorable
Nov 7, 2018
My dad called and asked me to help him find a new router. Here is what I know. His connection is over DSL through a DSL modem supplied by his ISP. His current router is an N. His max line speed is 50 mbps. He streams Netflix and that is his heaviest usage. 3 to 4 devices might be used at once but only streams over roku. He needs wifi. He moves between two closely neighboring trailers on his property. He could probably benefit from a mesh but since his max line speed is low, a single long range router might be better. Can anyone suggest a good wifi solution for these circumstances?

decksmeck

Honorable
Nov 7, 2018
I think he said he was paying for even less than 50 mbps but 50 is the max the ISP offers, so if the new router does that, it is enough. He is miles outside a small rural town with no hope of faster service within the predictable future.

The router is inside one trailer toward one end. The second trailer is 20 feet away oriented in paralell but the second trailer begins past the halfway point of the first.

___r_________
............_______________
(Ignore the dots. They are for spacing)

About like that. I estimate the trailers are 50 foot long and 20 feet wide.

I don't have the make or model yet. He is supposed to give it to me tomorrow. Out of G, N, AC...it is an N.

Ralston18

Titan
In the meantime (pending make and model router) look at the incoming line from his ISP. Who is the ISP...?

Is there a small box somewhere along the way that splits that incoming line into two paths? One path leading to telephone and the other path to the modem (or modem/router)?

Likely to be very small - just a few inches. Referred to as a splitter or filter.