[SOLVED] Wifi solution for second floor

Dec 17, 2021
Hello everyone,
I have a question for you all.
We have recently bought a two floor house and we are now finishing the renovation of the second floor.
I am looking for an optimal solution to get better wifi coverage on both floors.

At the moment I have a router on the first floor which doesn't not properly reach the full house.
In the renovated floor we have installed multiple Ethernet outlets directly connected to the modem which is placed under the roof.

Reading online it appears the best solution would have been to have a second router on the second floor connect through Ethernet to the other one. Unfortunately this is not possible.

Can I buy a second router and connect it directly to the modem? Can I then create the same wifi net so that I do not need to disconnect and reconnect every time I change floor?

I have seen simple wifi repeater exist but I do not understand if I can use the Ethernet outlets to give them beter connection. It seems they only spread the wifi or, again, can use an Ethernet cable which is directly connected to the router.

Am I wrong?
What is the best solution without spending too much?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Solution
If you already have Cat6 through the house, you just need Access Points.

OR

Any tri-band mesh system(routers) will work. See if you can find Asus 6100ax (2pack) or Asus 6600ax if you want wifi 6.
You are going to have to be a lot more clear as to what you call a "modem"

A actual modem can only have 1 device connected to it. This is not really a technical limitation it is more the ISP only gives you 1 IP address. The primary reason people even have routers is to share this single IP address between multiple devices.

So if the device you have under the roof is just a modem it will not work. If it is a router then you have pretty much solved your problem. Just connect AP or another router running as a AP in other location connected back to the main router/modem with ethernet.

Reactions: Davide_B92
Dec 17, 2021
I believe that is an actual modem, I spoke with my internet company.
I guess a solution would be to move the router next to the modem and from there go further. Maybe have two routers there so that I get a total of cirka 10 Ethernet outlets and I can connect all the cables going to the floor below.

Get the part number and look the device up.

Generally if it does not have wifi or it does not use the term gateway or router you can only hook 1 device to it.

You could put your router there but it would not increase the port count. Only the router wan port can connect to the modem. All the end devices would connect to the router which likely only has 4 lan ports. You could add a small switch to get more ports.

Dec 17, 2021
I need three lan ports for the first floor and in theory one for the second.
I could move the router there and hope it generate a wifi good enough for the second floor. In the first floor there would be the Ethernet cables connected in the lan ports of the router under the roof. There I could further have a second router with its wifi.
How does this sound?

TRENDING THREADS