[SOLVED] Wifi speed stuck at 144.4 mbps

Karyean

Honorable
Jun 20, 2014
Hey! So I recently upgraded my wifi card. It was the TPlink n900, and I was getting speeds at 300 mbps.

After I bought this adapter, my speeds stuck under 150 mbps. I'm not lagging. I basically plug in and let my windows 10 detect it. I didn't download any drivers *would that be why?)
In my device manager, it says it's a Intel Wireless AC-9260. Since my last wifi card was at 300mps @ 5ghz, I was wondering why this one is stuck at 144.4 @ 5ghz.

Edit: Same with 2.4ghz, it's stuck at 144.4 mbps.

Thanks!

ccsg3xf.jpg

Solution
That is strange that the router does not have that option when it has it on the 2.4g. Try changing the channel to auto. Maybe there are restrictions based on the channel you select.
144.4 Mbps translates to 2 spatial streams with 20 MHz channels, 300 Mbps translates to 2 spatial streams with 40 MHz channels. The two spatial streams is correct for that card, and the channel width is controlled by your router/access point. Have you changed the channel width on your router/ap?

Karyean

Honorable
Jun 20, 2014
144.4 Mbps translates to 2 spatial streams with 20 MHz channels, 300 Mbps translates to 2 spatial streams with 40 MHz channels. The two spatial streams is correct for that card, and the channel width is controlled by your router/access point. Have you changed the channel width on your router/ap?

Oh! I see, so that was why. I remembering my 5ghz was on a 20mhz channel, but I don't really remember.
I have not changed it. Would it be better if I change it to 40 mhz? Is there a difference in speed?
On this router, the TPLink Archer C7 v2 AC1750, does not have a channel width for the 5ghz. Would it be fine just leaving it?

It is a complex question in enterprise environments, but in home environments wider channels are generally better. If you live in a crowded area (dense urban, large apt building, etc) you might actually be better off with 20 MHz channels, If that isn't the case you should be good up to 80 MHz channels (160 MHz adds some complications).

That is for 5 GHz, stick with 20 MHz for 2.4 GHz.

It is a complex question in enterprise environments, but in home environments wider channels are generally better. If you live in a crowded area (dense urban, large apt building, etc) you might actually be better off with 20 MHz channels, If that isn't the case you should be good up to 80 MHz channels (160 MHz adds some complications).

That is for 5 GHz, stick with 20 MHz for 2.4 GHz.
Woops, I didn't reply to the last part of your message. According to the manual, the channel width setting is under Advanced > Wireless > Wireless Settings. But, you are fine at 20 MHz unless you have a fast internet connection (> 50ish Mbps).

Karyean

Honorable
Jun 20, 2014
Woops, I didn't reply to the last part of your message. According to the manual, the channel width setting is under Advanced > Wireless > Wireless Settings. But, you are fine at 20 MHz unless you have a fast internet connection (> 50ish Mbps).

Unfortunately, I don't see anything to change the channel width. As seen here
I was thinking if I should use another firmware rather than TPlink's firmware to get advance/extra settings.

My internet is up to 75mbps. So in short, yes, I do want to have a faster speed. As my room is above the router, and from router to my wifi card, i'm going to say approx. 15- 20 meters away?

As I do live in house, small road, I'm assuming the 40mhz would be better in my case.

i generally see only 20mhz and 40mhz as options, I never seen any greater ):

Karyean

Honorable
Jun 20, 2014
That is strange that the router does not have that option when it has it on the 2.4g. Try changing the channel to auto. Maybe there are restrictions based on the channel you select.

Unfortunately, only on the 2.4ghz I can change doesnt matter on which channel. Only the 5ghz I cant change even when on auto.

Karyean

Honorable
Jun 20, 2014
Bill001g has it exactly correct, channel 165 is a little special in that it can't bond with neighboring channels to make a wider channel. Can you select channel 149?

I've selected 149. But it doesn't have any channel width for me to choose from. So I guess, I might not be able to change the channel width on the 5ghz since there's no option at all.
The 2.4ghz is stuck at cap 72- 86. 7 mbps, on channel 2.

EDIT: I will test it out on speed later on and let you know! Ive changed the channel width on 2.4ghz @ channel 6 @ 40mhz. Changed 5ghz on channel 149.

EDIT: On channel 149, the speeds are even worse, it's all below 70 mbps...not sure why. Is it the router's problem?

Seems better on 2.4ghz, but i'm more worried about the 5ghz, since i'm the only one that uses it and it's my desktop.

EDIT: Being on channel 36-48 on 5ghz doesn't load anything but my speeds were at 800+ ghz. but nothing loads...

Last edited:

Karyean

Honorable
Jun 20, 2014
I took a look at the manual, and it seems like there really isn't a channel width setting for 5 GHz. Your best bet might be auto-everything.

Or...It looks like OpenWrt is supported on that hardware: https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/archer-c5-c7-wdr7500

Aw, I'd figure.
I might end up flashing it with openwrt, because of width and maybe more stability?
Not sure why when i'm on channels 36-48 on 5ghz, it says I'm connected to net, but nothing loads.
I only chose 165, because no one in my neighbour is using that channel, channel 149 was like 4 people on it and was a bit laggy. I even tried a wifi analyzer, I wasn't that good at choosing channels.
I guess i'll check which channels are better.
I'm assuming, since I live in a neighborhood that isn;t crowded, for 5ghz, it's better if the channel widths are bigger? Ex channel 48, goes up to 80mhz.