Question Wifi suddenly stops working for PC, but works for other devices in the same room. How to fix?

zeal923

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017
Hello!

Just some context before we begin:

Basic Specs:
Router: Linksys EA6350
Modem: Technicolor TC8715D
Motherboard: ASUS Z170-A
PSU: Corsair RM650x
PCI Wifi Adapter: TP-LINK Archer T6E AC1300
ISP: Spectrum
Number of devices connected to router: 9

The Issue:
My PC has not been having network issues until yesterday. Yesterday, my PC suddenly failed to connect to my home wifi network. My phone and laptop could connect to the wifi network just fine, despite being in the same room as the PC. When I plugged an Ethernet cable directly into my motherboard, my PC was able to access the Internet just fine. But my PC's wifi simply is not able to connect to wifi anymore.

I have tried numerous solutions, including:
  • Updating Drivers
  • Uninstalling Drivers
  • Resetting router/modem
  • Resetting network settings
  • Windows system restore
  • Disabling firewalls
  • Windows troubleshooter
  • And many more...
This is a video of what it looks like when I try to connect to my wifi network. Around 9 seconds in, look closely at the bottom of the monitor to the small wifi icon in the taskbar. The icon changes!
View: https://imgur.com/a/7kIOwJI

How should I solve this issue and get wifi access back on my PC? ANY help is appreciated. Thank you!

Mod edit - please only create 1 thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

zeal923

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017
Does the following link match your wireless adapter?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tp-lin...ci-express-card-black/6265517.p?skuId=6265517

Check the antenna's orientation. Ensure that the antenna's are fully screwed on to the backplate.

Check that the wireless card is fully and firmly seated. They do creep loose due to heating and cooling inside the case.
Yes, the link matches my wireless adapter, but it doesn't seem to be an issue with the hardware of the adapter. I reinstalled the adapter, checked that everything was in order, and wifi still does not connect.

Ralston18

Titan
Could be that the PCIe wireless adapter is "aging" and just not working as it should. Heat degrades electronics and the installed adapter may be approaching its EOL (End of Life).

Do you have any antenna extension cables that could be used to raise the antennas higher and get them out from behind the PC?

Are you able to borrow a USB wireless adapter?

Disable the existing TP-Link and install the USB wireless adapter. It may likewise be helpful to use a USB extension cable in order to raise the USB wireless adapter up and away from the back of the PC.

If the USB wireless adapter works then, by elimination, the existing PCIe wireless adapter is suspect.

zeal923

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017
Could be that the PCIe wireless adapter is "aging" and just not working as it should. Heat degrades electronics and the installed adapter may be approaching its EOL (End of Life).

Do you have any antenna extension cables that could be used to raise the antennas higher and get them out from behind the PC?

Are you able to borrow a USB wireless adapter?

Disable the existing TP-Link and install the USB wireless adapter. It may likewise be helpful to use a USB extension cable in order to raise the USB wireless adapter up and away from the back of the PC.

If the USB wireless adapter works then, by elimination, the existing PCIe wireless adapter is suspect.
Update: I turned on my PC today and the wifi symbol on the Windows 10 taskbar showed bars - basically, it showed that it was connected to my normal home network. But when I tried opening my email account online, the internet was so slow that it was basically nonexistent/not working. But for my laptop and phone, wifi was working just fine.

Does this change your diagnosis, or does it still mean that I should replace my PCIE wireless adapter?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Is just email slow or is internet connectivity for all purposes slow?

The key is to narrow down the circumstances involved. Email alone, being slow, would not be a reason to replace the PCIE wireless adapter.

Are you able to run and post the results of "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command prompt?

zeal923

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017

The key is to narrow down the circumstances involved. Email alone, being slow, would not be a reason to replace the PCIE wireless adapter.

Are you able to run and post the results of "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command prompt?
Internet connectivity for all purposes was slow. As for the results of ipconfig /all, I sent you a direct message. Thank you!

zeal923

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017

Update #2: WIfi suddenly started working again! Internet is now decent enough that it is able to complete basic tasks, so I can access my email and such. But while my laptop is getting 100+ mbps on speedtest while in the same room, the PC only gets around 1 mbps on speedtest, and the speedtest doesn't even complete on the PC. Instead, it displays a message that says: UPLOAD TEST ERROR: A socket error occurred during the upload test. A firewall could be blocking the connection or the server might be having some issues. Please try again later."

Ralston18

Titan
Please - no PM's.

Keep all communications and information within this thread so anyone else following will be up to date.

Post the "ipconfig /all" results accordingly.

No personal information is being exposed beyond the computer name.

Take a close look at the incoming cables and any splitters serving the modem.

Verify the connections:

ISP ---- coax ---> Cable modem ----> Ethernet cable ----> Router ----- Ethernet ---> wired devices/PC and ~~~~ wireless~~~> wireless devices

Cable modem being the Technicolor TC8715D and the Router being the Linksys 6350.

zeal923

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017
Please - no PM's.

Keep all communications and information within this thread so anyone else following will be up to date.

Post the "ipconfig /all" results accordingly.

No personal information is being exposed beyond the computer name.

Take a close look at the incoming cables and any splitters serving the modem.

Verify the connections:

ISP ---- coax ---> Cable modem ----> Ethernet cable ----> Router ----- Ethernet ---> wired devices/PC and ~~~~ wireless~~~> wireless devices

Cable modem being the Technicolor TC8715D and the Router being the Linksys 6350.
Those connections are verified.
And wifi has ceased to work at all on my PC once again.

Results of the ipconfig /all are:
View: https://imgur.com/a/4KujYuw

View: https://imgur.com/a/ac7bVNJ