Question Wifi takes longer time to respond than mobile data

Mar 29, 2018
When connected to WiFi and trying to install any app from playstore it keeps on showing "downloading" for about 3-4 mins and then download starts while on mobile data the response is quick.
Same is with some games...eg Standoff 2 takes infinite time(waited till I ran out of patience) to load but loads quickly on mobile data.
Happens only on my phone, seeing family haven't complained about wifi issue.
Any fixes?

What model router and phone do you have?

If you have an android phone, download the WiFi analyzer app it is extremely helpful to see what signal you are seeing from your router (and other nearby wifi signals). What does it say?

Does it make a difference if you are closer to the router or not?

Are you able to connect to other WiFi routers, hotspots or public WiFi locations?

Would you be able to see if your router has a firmware update and install it? (or ask someone who has access to the router to do so?)

Reactions: cinnamonsquash420
Mar 29, 2018

If you have an android phone, download the WiFi analyzer app it is extremely helpful to see what signal you are seeing from your router (and other nearby wifi signals). What does it say?

Are you able to connect to other WiFi routers, hotspots or public WiFi locations?

Would you be able to see if your router has a firmware update and install it? (or ask someone who has access to the router to do so?)
Router: Digisol DG- HR3400
My phone: Xiaomi Redmi note 3
Yes, I makes a difference when near or far from WiFi router. The graph goes up and down when near and far respectively.
Yes, I'm able to connect to others
Nope, there is no firmware update.
Also...after a heavy usage or some light usage WiFi automatically gets disconnected from all devices and shows "saved" or "Authentication problem" and the only option is reboot the router.

Mar 29, 2018

well your wifi connects you to your landline , sometimes cell phone internet is faster than that .
When downloading a file it gives full 3.2MBps (current plan) or more but takes time to load on many apps or downloading an app from playstore.
Like, lenskart app. It opens , loads but doesn't show any pictures or frames or anything just text.

Router: Digisol DG- HR3400
My phone: Xiaomi Redmi note 3
Yes, I makes a difference when near or far from WiFi router. The graph goes up and down when near and far respectively.
Yes, I'm able to connect to others
Nope, there is no firmware update.
Also...after a heavy usage or some light usage WiFi automatically gets disconnected from all devices and shows "saved" or "Authentication problem" and the only option is reboot the router.
Thank you, this is very helpful - I suspect the Digisol router is having some problems, especially the disconnect when under heavy use - reminiscent of a Tenda brand router which worked well when it was new in the winter season, and had some problems with the warmer weather in the spring and by the summer time it was completely dead. Putting a fan to it helped quite a bit, so that would be my first suggestion - if you have a small table fan or a laptop cooler (what I used in my situation) and see if it keeps a stable connection.

However, that may not solve the connection problem and since that router is only N300 connection, I would suggest upgrading to a better router like the TP-Link C1200, since it has 3 antennae should improve reception and a good deal on sale at under 3k INR. I used the higher model Archer C7 with AC1750 speeds to replace the Tenda router I previously mentioned a few years ago (fan not required) and it is still going strong today.

Hope this helps, cheers!

Reactions: cinnamonsquash420
Mar 29, 2018
Thank you, this is very helpful - I suspect the Digisol router is having some problems, especially the disconnect when under heavy use - reminiscent of a Tenda brand router which worked well when it was new in the winter season, and had some problems with the warmer weather in the spring and by the summer time it was completely dead. Putting a fan to it helped quite a bit, so that would be my first suggestion - if you have a small table fan or a laptop cooler (what I used in my situation) and see if it keeps a stable connection.

However, that may not solve the connection problem and since that router is only N300 connection, I would suggest upgrading to a better router like the TP-Link C1200, since it has 3 antennae should improve reception and a good deal on sale at under 3k INR. I used the higher model Archer C7 with AC1750 speeds to replace the Tenda router I previously mentioned a few years ago (fan not required) and it is still going strong today.

Hope this helps, cheers!
So , buying a new one is best choice right?

Yes I believe that will be the best choice, and possibly make the WiFi stable for everyone!

For the best antenna position, refer to here where they show the 45-degree angles are probably best - for 2 antennae a "V" position and for 3 antennae the "W" shape is optimal - best try out different positions and re-test with the WiFi analyzer to confirm for your environment.

Cheers!

TRENDING THREADS