Wii U Gamepad Wont Be Sold Separately at Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]inferno1217[/nom]So.... You get to play with yourself?[/citation]

some games use wiiU pro controllers. other games will utilize both the traditional wii controller as well as the WiiU tablet. Ideally, games can go up to 6 players, if a game came out that utilized 4 wii remotes and 2 WiiU gamepads.

Inferno1217

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
[citation][nom]dudewitbow[/nom]some games use wiiU pro controllers. other games will utilize both the traditional wii controller as well as the WiiU tablet. Ideally, games can go up to 6 players, if a game came out that utilized 4 wii remotes and 2 WiiU gamepads.[/citation]

I know. I was being sarcastic & dirty! ^

[citation][nom]inferno1217[/nom]I know. I was being sarcastic & dirty! ^[/citation]
probably could sense it now. But I just an after thought. What if nintendo/namco(as namco is developing it) made the next smash bros series 6 player. My mind is oozing from all of the chaos that could happen.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
I still don't see the merit of this oversized PSP styled controller....Maybe SONY will make a PS4 with the PS Vita as a controller....after all the PSVITA has everything this has and more....:)

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I personally think that it's actually logical, because Nintendon't goes Famicom road this way. Famicom's joypads could not be detached from the console itself, so there was no point in buying another ones.
Only NES had the capability of detaching it's joypads, and that came later than Famicom...
What I'm trying to say, is basically: [strike]it's logical for Nintendon't to do that at console's Launch, because their main consumer market at launch would be stationed in Japan, and Japanese people are very heavily attached to Famicom, so selling Wii U Controllers[/strike] (**NERD MODE = ON** learn to see the difference, Tuan Mai. There is a huge difference. Joysticks aren't Joypads. Joypads aren't Gamepads. Joypads & Gamepads aren't Controllers. Those are all different things. Only a very incompetent, inexperienced person, could've named the Wii U Controller a "Gamepad". **NERD MODE = OFF**) [strike]separately would disarray Japanese Nintendon't consumer market, in my opinion.[/strike] Aw, whatever...

[citation][nom]master_chen[/nom]I personally think that it's actually logical, because Nintendon't goes Famicom road this way. Famicom's joypads could not be detached from the console itself, so there was no point in buying another ones.Only NES had the capability of detaching it's joypads, and that came later than Famicom...What I'm trying to say, is basically: it's logical for Nintendon't to do that at console's Launch, because their main consumer market at launch would be stationed in Japan, and Japanese people are very heavily attached to Famicom, so selling Wii U Controllers (**NERD MODE = ON** learn to see the difference, Tuan Mai. There is a huge difference. Joysticks aren't Joypads. Joypads aren't Gamepads. Joypads & Gamepads aren't Controllers. Those are all different things. Only a very incompetent, inexperienced person, could've named the Wii U Controller a "Gamepad". **NERD MODE = OFF**) separately would disarray Japanese Nintendon't consumer market, in my opinion. Aw, whatever...[/citation]

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't some parts of the EU refer to controllers as gamepads?

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

And they are wrong. It's because of the lack of appropriate knowledge and experience.

**NERD MODE = ON**
Controller is a device that can have very specific features, form and designation (For example, "Steel Battalion" Controller, Guitar Freaks/Guitar Hero "Guitar Controller", Dance Dance Revolution/Pum It Up/InTheGroove "Dance Mat", BeatMania "DJ Stand", PlayStation "Move", "WiiMote", Nintendo "Power Glove", "Para-Para Paradise Motion Sensors", Nintendo "Power Pad", DrumMania "Drummer Set" and etc., all of those are Controllers, not Gamepads or Joypads).
"Controllers" are usually very specific devices designed for a specific set of games or one game title/series at all. For example, "Guitar Hero" Controller absolutely not suitable for playing any other games, it would make buggy inputs and etc., and "Para-Para Paradise" Controller can't be used for any other game WHATSOEVER, AT ALL.
"Gamepads" and "Joypads", on the other hand, are the typical input devices and both can be easily used with almost any video games, even "Controller"-specific titles like "Dance Dance Revolution" or "Guitar Freaks".
There is not much differences between "Joypad" and a "Gamepad", but there is some, so it should be taken into consideration, and those differences make them two separate kinds of input devices.
"Joypad" are basically the standard home video game console controller than you can (usually) only plug into the designated console.
While "Gamepad" is, mainly, a "Joypad for Personal Computer", which is plugged through USB/FireWire, or other kind of computer-specific way.
More than 95% of all "Gamepads" have monolith-type of a d-pad, while "Joypads" (by the most part) utilize the "4-way" classical d-pad design (which is more comfortable than monolith d-pad, IMHO). Also, "Gamepad's" buttons are almost always marked with numerical signs (for example, "1, 2, 3, 4" on the main action buttons) and most of them have either additional Turbo-switches/buttons by default, or have some other kind of tweaking, while "Joypads" are more classy (having either classical "A, B, X, Y", or less common "A, B, C, D").
Also, for most "Gamepads" driver installation is a must, because otherwise they can work incorrectly (make buggy inputs or turn-off suddenly).
And most obvious thing about "Gamepads": you can't use them on the majority of home video game consoles (even if home video game console has a USB port, it doesn't mean that your "Gamepad" would work if you plug it in there. Unlike "Joypads", which you can quite easily plug into your Personal Computer by using a special USB Adapter).
**NERD MODE = OFF**

There are many nuances and details about all this, It's a quite tl;dr thing, so I won't be continuing after this point. I just gave you a tiny little bit of info, it's a very small fraction of a very big picture.

[citation][nom]master_chen[/nom]-snip-[/citation]

I don't think it really matters that much... if you hear someone say "I need a new ps3 game pad" or I need a new xbox controller" you know what they are talking about.

thefizzle656

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012
[citation][nom]the1kingbob[/nom]I like how they side stepped the question... How much does it cost?[/citation]

IIRC in Japan they are going to be sold for around the equivalent of $170. I think that, because of the cost issue, they didn't want any games with dual-Gamepad functionality coming out at launch and are using the "no games available" as their official excuse for not selling them separately. There was a quote from Satoru Iwata basically saying that they didn't want to require customers to spend the money on a second controller from day one. My guess is that they want to wait until they can slightly cut the cost and price of the controllers.

G

My guess is that the cost of the controllers would deter most people from making a WiiU purchase in the first place. Nintendo is betting that if they had them for sale, then parents would see the cost of the WiiU, and the second controller, and buy an Xbox for their kids instead.

Having said that, if the controller is $170, and you buy the "premium" version of the WiiU.... we're getting up into PS3 launch territory now.... it better do more than upconvert old Wii games in my opinion.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]sicom[/nom]So if your controller is broken for whatever reason between now and "sometime next year" you're screwed?[/citation]
You won't be able to purchase standalone tablet controllers initially, but replacement services will be available should you break or damage your gamepad.

Status
Not open for further replies.