Wii U Netflix App Doesn't Allow '@' Entry into Password Field

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Programming is like permanently pioneering an armored tank starting with pre-WWI tech. Sometimes you create something half-baked but still scares the crap out your enemies and shoots explosives. Sometimes it doesn't move and can't shoot. Sometimes it's a greater hazard to your own soldiers than to the enemy.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
^-^ This

There's no reason to allow the @ sign in a password, 99% of the time it's used as part of an email or replacement for @.

Plus I've tried the Amazon Video app for the Wii U, definitely better than the Netflix app

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Tom's hardware news service is like US Postal Service speed compared to the internet.

(But then again, it's doing a lot better than US Postal Service.)

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
I really don't even see why it's "laughable". A lot of password entries don't even allow special characters and it's easily fixed, which apparently it already has been. Am I really supposed to care about this? Oh no, I might have to change my password to enjoy a service where I can take the movie I'm watching into the toilet with me.

bebangs

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
[citation][nom]webbwbb[/nom]This was done on purpose to force the people who had their password as their email address to change it.[/citation]

well, it's not their problem.

[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]^-^ This There's no reason to allow the @ sign in a password, 99% of the time it's used as part of an email or replacement for @.Plus I've tried the Amazon Video app for the Wii U, definitely better than the Netflix app[/citation]

1 d0nt kn0w @b0ut y0u but 1 @add "@" in p@ssw0rd @ll th3 t1m3 L1k3 th1s.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Tom's hardware news service is like US Postal Service speed compared to the internet.(But then again, it's doing a lot better than US Postal Service.)[/citation]
the usps is doing just fine and turning a profit

...an artifical scheme cooked up by legislators who want to privatize the usps is making it APPEAR to be unprofitable. If you remove the corrupt scheme from the equation the USPS has ZERO DEBT and Is PROFITABLE.

how do you not know this?

[citation][nom]bebangs[/nom]1 d0nt kn0w @b0ut y0u but 1 @add "@" in p@ssw0rd @ll th3 t1m3 L1k3 th1s.[/citation]

In other words your password is one of the first ones to be guessed by any decent hacker. Nice.

OTOH, my passwords sometimes have the @ symbol in them if it shows up on the number generator.

Filiprino

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Programming is like permanently pioneering an armored tank starting with pre-WWI tech. Sometimes you create something half-baked but still scares the crap out your enemies and shoots explosives. Sometimes it doesn't move and can't shoot. Sometimes it's a greater hazard to your own soldiers than to the enemy.[/citation]
If that's the case maybe you should retire.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Filiprino[/nom]If that's the case maybe you should retire.[/citation]

You go back in time and tell the engineers of Mark IV and Medium Mark A Whippet landships that they should retire. Those tanks could do what the infantry couldn't, advance over one mile within six months without getting shot up, and scaring off enemy infantry.

Of course artillery was always an issue though. Though there was one exception for a Whippet during the Battle of Amiens, it advanced so far into the rear area that it busted up the artillery guns, which is a very serious loss in WWI.

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
[citation][nom]webbwbb[/nom]This was done on purpose to force the people who had their password as their email address to change it.[/citation]
it'd be much smarter to look for [text]@[text].[valid extension] and prevent something that looks very much like a password, instead of just excluding a commonly used special character.

Status
Not open for further replies.