Wii U Sells 400,000 in U.S. on Launch Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazlo_Holyfeld

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
"Wii U is essentially sold out of retail and we are doing our best to continually replenish stock."

Hmm.... then how come I saw about 12 of them sitting behind the counter at GameStop this weekend?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
the wii had one game that was a system seller from day one, the wiiu doesnt have that same game, it has a demo of what games could be like, but its a poor example, there there probably wont be a "this is why you get a wii" game for probably 1-2 years

it will be more about the content on the system than the way you play the games, and for many people, at least 400k right now, it is their go to hard core system.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I heard the battery life on those controllers are terrible and have no way to recharge while in use. I'm not quite fond of that. It's nice to see Nintendo always doing something different though.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]400,000 first week?To me that seems low.[/citation]
Game consoles aren't quite as popular as the latest Google Nexus devices or Apple iToys.

It has been a long time since the last time I remember seeing game consoles generating anywhere near as much hype as Samsung's latest Galaxy phone/tab, Google's Nexus 4/7/10, the iPad 3/mini or iPhone 5.

Most people I know haven't bought a new console in years but have gone through multiple smartphones and/or tablets since.

Personally, my newest game console is my PS2 and I haven't touched it much over the last four years.

I think the casual gamers won't care about the new touch screen like they enjoyed the original wii controller.
Casual gamers that have a tablet already will ask what's the point?

Hardcore gamers have developed a feeling/mindset that Nintendo is mostly childish games and/or gimmicky games for casual gamers. And if you are a hardcore gamer the only reason you'd buy one is just for 1st part games like Zelda, Metroid and Mario for example but 3rd party games were better on the other systems.

If you do happen to buy the system for one of the major 1st party Nintendo titles then you are still forced to deal with every thing in super duper happy happy land. (UUgghh... I don't know about you but I'm getting sick of it.) If Nintendo really wants to bring back it's hardcore gamers they need to bring back games like Killer Instinct. Just the title alone is anti-happy land. Nintendo games are too Japanese, too happy happy everything. Like they are trying to make all games rated E. Like Disney trys to make it's movies rated G. Disney is marketing to kids. Nintendo, you need to stop trying to market to kids. You want hardcore gamers to like it? Make most of your games with NO HAPPY CRAP and get the rating of M. (M just means awesome)

Here's an idea:
Your small time italian mafia henchmen trying to make it big in the italian mafia. Make the game grand theft auto style. And hey you're main character could be named "Mario". With guns, drugs, girls, car chases and police it would have all of the elements to make it exciting to any older audiences. But don't make it cartoony. Make it look as real as possible. That sh*t would sell systems.
Another idea:
Make a gory fighting game. Killer Instinct was pretty cool I'd be down for part 3.

Since most hardcore gamers have the other systems and Nintendo has let them down in the past I'd be willing to bet that many will just keep playing on thier PS3's and XBoxes until they see what Microsoft and Sony have to offer. Unless Nintendo really surprises people and does something like I mentioned above. The only other thing that will help them sell systems are exclusive deals with 3rd party developers but developers don't like to do that because games have become so expensive to make they need to make as much money as possible.

Based on what I've seen from the last generation of consoles. I'm looking forward most to see what Microsoft has up it's sleve. I am impressed with the Kinnect and interested to see where that will go.

BUT... What I'd really like to see in the next gen consoles is a TV Tuner that can allow your console to act like a DVR.

Abion47

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2012
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]I think the casual gamers won't care about the new touch screen like they enjoyed the original wii controller.Casual gamers that have a tablet already will ask what's the point?Hardcore gamers have developed a feeling/mindset that Nintendo is mostly childish games and/or gimmicky games for casual gamers. And if you are a hardcore gamer the only reason you'd buy one is just for 1st part games like Zelda, Metroid and Mario for example but 3rd party games were better on the other systems. If you do happen to buy the system for one of the major 1st party Nintendo titles then you are still forced to deal with every thing in super duper happy happy land. (UUgghh... I don't know about you but I'm getting sick of it.) If Nintendo really wants to bring back it's hardcore gamers they need to bring back games like Killer Instinct. Just the title alone is anti-happy land. Nintendo games are too Japanese, too happy happy everything. Like they are trying to make all games rated E. Like Disney trys to make it's movies rated G. Disney is marketing to kids. Nintendo, you need to stop trying to market to kids. You want hardcore gamers to like it? Make most of your games with NO HAPPY CRAP and get the rating of M. (M just means awesome)Here's an idea:Your small time italian mafia henchmen trying to make it big in the italian mafia. Make the game grand theft auto style. And hey you're main character could be named "Mario". With guns, drugs, girls, car chases and police it would have all of the elements to make it exciting to any older audiences. But don't make it cartoony. Make it look as real as possible. That sh*t would sell systems.Another idea:Make a gory fighting game. Killer Instinct was pretty cool I'd be down for part 3.Since most hardcore gamers have the other systems and Nintendo has let them down in the past I'd be willing to bet that many will just keep playing on thier PS3's and XBoxes until they see what Microsoft and Sony have to offer. Unless Nintendo really surprises people and does something like I mentioned above. The only other thing that will help them sell systems are exclusive deals with 3rd party developers but developers don't like to do that because games have become so expensive to make they need to make as much money as possible.Based on what I've seen from the last generation of consoles. I'm looking forward most to see what Microsoft has up it's sleve. I am impressed with the Kinnect and interested to see where that will go.BUT... What I'd really like to see in the next gen consoles is a TV Tuner that can allow your console to act like a DVR.[/citation]

And the fact that ZombiU, Assassin's Creed 3, Black Ops 2, and Arkham City were all launch titles proves your point somehow?

neblogai

Distinguished
Darklord69: you are basically asking Nintendo to kill Mario brand for nothing- that is stupid. Instead, they can make both games for kids and M games, do them well, keep IPs strictly separate, and get both kid and hardcore markets. Plus, they are already getting casual/tablet gamer market- just wait and see.

dormantreign

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Regardless what you guys think, i've been playing zombiU and Mario U non-stop since launch. I'm just iching for a metroid and zelda title. System is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.