Wildcat 4110

G

A friend of of a friend recently upgraded to 3DLabs Wildcat 4210, and is planning to sell his existing Wildcat 4110, for a tidy sum of money. I am thinking of buying it, to replace my 3DLabs GVX1. One of face of it, from reading the information provided by 3DLabs' website, the Wildcat series has a rather low screen refresh rate - 85Hz - at whatever resolution.

Anyone out there has had any experience of using Wildcat 4110? Particularly with Stereographics goggles? Stereographics recommends a screen refresh rate of at least 120 Hz for the goggles to be useable and not cause eyestrain.

How about - god-forbidden - the performance of playing Quake 3 Arena? (I hope that I am not insulting the Wildcat 4110 card.)

As you know, a Wildcat card - even a second hand one - will cost the equivalent of several "normal" computers. Any thoughts and suggestions will be most sincerely welcome.

BTW as my existing motherboard has an AGP Pro slot and is supplied with a 400W transformer, that friend of a friend confirms that they should be able to accommodate the Wildcat 4110, as he offers to install it for me and I can cancel the deal if the Wildcat 4110 does not work.

G

The Wildcat will smoke your GVX1 card but it's intended for
high-end graphic apps like 3d studio max, lightwave, maya, softimage and autocad. It will accelerate your opengl previews much faster than GVX. It's not intended for games but works with quake2&3. The drivers support NT4 & WIN2K but do not support Direct3D.
If you are a 3D Artist by trade, this is the ultimate!
For gamers it is a waste of money