Will 2 x AMD R390 and 1 Quadro 4000 fit on this motherboard?

Sunny Kapoor

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2014
These are my current specs

Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07GHz
12.0GB Triple-Channel DDR3
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. X58A-UD7
2047MB NVIDIA Quadro 4000 (NVIDIA)
1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 520 (XFX Pine Group).
cooler master silent pro 700 W PSU

I am planning to use Quadro as my display device and buying 2 AMD R390 just for 3D rendering.

I can select which cards to use for render in blender. So AMDs will be only used for rendering and quadro for display.

As the AMD cards are dual width, will they fit on my motherboard with a quadro?

A cooler master silent pro 1200 W PSU will do for these three cards?

This is the motherboard
a1i7om.jpg

harboym

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
Yes, I see no issue running those cards how you described on this motherboard. If you number just the PCIex16 slots 1-4 from top to bottom, you would put the quadro in 1 and the 390s in 3,4

harboym

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014

This was answered pretty clearly in the description.

Last I checked, the AMD support in Blender was still in beta and not all rendering features were supported. The version of Blender before official AMD support added, was handling more features than the official beta supporting AMD cards. I would make sure you're going to see the benefits you're expecting before dropping for a multi-card AMD setup.

What he wanted to do was explained..Why he wanted to go that way was not.

Sunny Kapoor

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2014

Because how the blender selects the card - If it has three Nvidia Card , it will select either any one of them or all three.

Same with AMD cards. So if I go Nvidia route I will to chose all three for rendering and that might slow my rendering as quadro 4000 is not good as a 980 ti.

So while rendering my display card VRam will be free from the other two AMD card and I can keep using blender.

The newer versions are supporting AMD renders.

I will get 2 x R390 for the price of one 980 ti, plus that 8 GB VRAM.

I have used quadro for last 4 years, it is good in the viewport, can handle millions of polygons, but horrible for rendering.

Need those extra cores in either R390 or 980 ti for rendering speed.

I am actually having a huge thread on cg cookie and blender artist regarding this, please chip in and give your technical input as well.

It is a huge investment so I am getting as many point of views as possible.

http://community.cgcookie.com/t/graphics-card-advice-for-blender/1656/

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?383686-Which-Graphic-Card-should-I-go-for-Blender-980-ti-or-Titan-X/page2

edit: later i will be selling the quadro 4000 for either AMD or Nvidia, right now can afford to buy either 1 980 ti or 2 AMD.

Sunny Kapoor

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2014

Yes cooling is an issue, I have already taken steps to reduce the temp. If they do not work with three GPus clubbed together, I will go for liquid cooling.