Question Will 212 Evo fit?

gogo7bg

Commendable
Sep 10, 2017
Im gonna buy a GAMDIAS Talos E1.It has 158mm cpu cooler clearance but the 212 evo is 159mm....will that 1mm be a problem? My current case is Aerocool Cylon and its only 155mm so i keep it with the pide panel off. ( ik, it ruins the airflow but what other option do i have? ). I dont really care if its gonna bend the panel...its acrylic and not TG.

USAFRet

Titan
Im gonna buy a GAMDIAS Talos E1.It has 158mm cpu cooler clearance but the 212 evo is 159mm....will that 1mm be a problem? My current case is Aerocool Cylon and its only 155mm so i keep it with the pide panel off. ( ik, it ruins the airflow but what other option do i have? ). I dont really care if its gonna bend the panel...its acrylic and not TG.
158 - 159.
Will it work? That depends on which engineering and marketing team fudged the number just a little bit.

0.5mm clearance is fine.
0.5mm interference is not fine.

If it touches, it is not good.

Ah yes it's one of those side facing fans. Well in that case, it is cutting it quite close. It might just fit, but officially it is 0.5mm too big. If the official specs for the cooler are overestimated and the official specs for the case are underestimated (by at least 0.5mm overall) then it would be ok, otherwise no.

gogo7bg

Commendable
Sep 10, 2017
tho im getting quite confused. On some cases from CM it says that "it can fit up to 158mm cooler aka 212 Evo". BUT on the 212 Evo page it says that it 158.5mm and heatsink is 159mm. So in the end which one should I look for - only the height or the heatsink height...

Jul 21, 2019
Since i dont know your full specs i do recommend you also getting the "other" dimensions of the cooler so youre sure it wont block the RAM or other plugs/outs just to be sure.

(Especially for the Mini ATX mobos)

Ontopic: i would recommend getting a bit space there so if it touches it will handle with a small kind of force so either try to search for another cooler or maybe another case.

USAFRet

Titan
tho im getting quite confused. On some cases from CM it says that "it can fit up to 158mm cooler aka 212 Evo". BUT on the 212 Evo page it says that it 158.5mm and heatsink is 159mm. So in the end which one should I look for - only the height or the heatsink height...
For me, that is Too Close for comfort, unless I'd seen that exact case with that exact cooler.
0.5mm isn't a lot of fudge factor.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I've seen an evo stuck in a case that claims only 152mm clearance. The cooler had 1mm of space left. It's one of those things where there is no standard by which it's measured. Some are measured to a solid side panel, given an extra 5mm or so, and that supposedly includes all models, not realizing there's an extra 4mm in the tempered glass side model, and -4mm for the acrylic side. But they'll claim the same measurements anyways. Technically correct, there'll be 1mm, 5mm or 9mm extra clearance, but nobody changes, remeasures, updates web info, just on a panel change. And you'll not know what's what until you try.

Many times, the specification is taken as a measurement of the side panel perfectly straight, so clearance is removed to cover flex or warping of the panel that's common during manufacturing process, user handling etc. Meaning with a perfectly straight panel, there's really 163mm of cooler clearance, but warpage of a fitted panel might go upto 5mm on the center, so cooler height is stated as 158mm

No standard, every manufacturer is different, and there's no telling what those design engineers figured into the equation.

Last edited:

gogo7bg

Commendable
Sep 10, 2017
Since i dont know your full specs i do recommend you also getting the "other" dimensions of the cooler so youre sure it wont block the RAM or other plugs/outs just to be sure.

(Especially for the Mini ATX mobos)

Ontopic: i would recommend getting a bit space there so if it touches it will handle with a small kind of force so either try to search for another cooler or maybe another case.
My current PC is fx 8350, 8gb ddr3, 1060 amp and asrock 970M pro3. Already have the 212 evo and i got it like 1 month ago so i cant just change it. Nothing is getting blocked so tuere is no problem with that. My next build will be ryzen 5 (still haven't decided...maybe 3600), asrock b450m pro4 matx, 16gb ddr4 corsair vengeance lpx 3000 2x8. There is no blocking from the cooler, i have already did the measuring.

As for the case. I couldn't find a better case that i like for that price...i mean there were some nice cases like the MB600L from CM but its atx. I dont have a lot of space for the pc on the desk so i have to go with matx case. Also the Gamdias case comes with two preinstalled fans that are not bad imo.

gogo7bg

Commendable
Sep 10, 2017
I've seen an evo stuck in a case that claims only 152mm clearance. The cooler had 1mm of space left. It's one of those things where there is no standard by which it's measured. Some are measured to a solid side panel, given an extra 5mm or so, and that supposedly includes all models, not realizing there's an extra 4mm in the tempered glass side model, and -4mm for the acrylic side. But they'll claim the same measurements anyways. Technically correct, there'll be 1mm, 5mm or 9mm extra clearance, but nobody changes, remeasures, updates web info, just on a panel change. And you'll not know what's what until you try.

Many times, the specification is taken as a measurement of the side panel perfectly straight, so clearance is removed to cover flex or warping of the panel that's common during manufacturing process, user handling etc. Meaning with a perfectly straight panel, there's really 163mm of cooler clearance, but warpage of a fitted panel might go upto 5mm on the center, so cooler height is stated as 158mm

No standard, every manufacturer is different, and there's no telling what those design engineers figured into the equation.
So what you're saying is that there is no real way of telling if its gonna fit or not expect trying it. This rlly explains the problem with cpu clearene in cases. Tho this till remains. If it fits and the measurements are somehow correct and it bends the side panel just a little bc of that 0.5mm will that harm anything. The side panel is not something i care about as i said before.

gogo7bg

Commendable
Sep 10, 2017
ok wow....i was looking at a Q300L review....ummm aperantly
Karadjgne was right...the case is said to support only 159mm tho he the reviewer said that it can fit around 165mm since he put a 212 LED which is 160 and there was even space left. i guess i could go with this one but if you have any suggestions for a budget case around 40-55$ plz tell me.