[SOLVED] Will 2RX8 work. Trying to upgrade fathers old PC.

Mar 26, 2021
Hey guys.

So my dad has a very old PC.

Specs currently are:

MSI 7525 ver 1
GeForce 9500 GT
CPU: Unknown but does work
RAM: 2x1GB Transcend 800mhz ram - Should be DDR2 PC2-6400

I have just purchased a cheap SSD to install as Windows 10 with low ram is slow, especially on a old hard drive.

The motherboard does support up to 4gb of DDR2 PC2-6400 240PIN 800MHZ ram.

My problem is that the only ram I can find is 2RX8 ram. The motherboard only has 2 slots, a slot can only have 2gb MAXIMUM, and overall has a max capacity of 4gb.

My question is, will 2RX8 2GB ram, count as 2 modules in one slot, meaning I can't install the other 2gb stick into the other slot?

I know it sounds confusing but I just don't want to buy the ram for me to only be able to use 2GB again, I'm aiming for 4GB here haha.

I read somewhere that 2RX8 will count as 2 sticks in one slot and because there is only 2 physical slots on the board, I'm thinking this might be an issue.

Many thanks for any responses!

Solution
What is the full spec/model of the ram? ie, 2gb DDR2-800 PC2-6400U 5-5-5-10. The ranking never seemed to matter back in the ddr2 days except for certain chipsets and modules.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
  • Intel Core 2 Duo (Conroe, Allendale, Wolfdale-3M, Wolfdale-6M)
  • Intel Pentium Dual-Core (Allendale, Wolfdale-3M)
  • Intel Pentium D (Smithfield, Presler)
  • Intel Pentium 4 Extreme Edition (Gallatin, Prescott 2M)
  • Intel Pentium 4 (Prescott, Prescott 2M, Cedar Mill)
  • Intel Celeron Dual-Core (Allendale, Wolfdale-3M)
  • Intel Celeron (Conroe-L)

I wouldn't spend any money or effort on a machine of that age.

Mar 26, 2021
  • Intel Core 2 Duo (Conroe, Allendale, Wolfdale-3M, Wolfdale-6M)
  • Intel Pentium Dual-Core (Allendale, Wolfdale-3M)
  • Intel Pentium D (Smithfield, Presler)
  • Intel Pentium 4 Extreme Edition (Gallatin, Prescott 2M)
  • Intel Pentium 4 (Prescott, Prescott 2M, Cedar Mill)
  • Intel Celeron Dual-Core (Allendale, Wolfdale-3M)
  • Intel Celeron (Conroe-L)
I wouldn't spend any money or effort on a machine of that age.

I knew someone would say this. He used to play medal of honor on it. But now that it has Windows 10, I need to get a few more gigs of ram. Just need to know if 2rx8 OR 1rx8 will be compatible.

Thanks.

Reactions: SamirD

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I knew someone would say this. He used to play medal of honor on it. But now that it has Windows 10, I need to get a few more gigs of ram. Just need to know if 2rx8 OR 1rx8 will be compatible.

Thanks.

Understood.

I have seen situations where a machine that had compatible RAM over a size it could see would work, within that limit. It was fairly common during the x86 to 64 change. I wish that I could be more helpful in that exact regard.

MonsterMaxx

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
The motherboard specs seem to be saying is only 32bit.
If you can get into windows, right click over the taskbar and select 'system' See what it says the OS is, 32bit or 64bit.
I suspect you'll find that it's a 32bit system in which case it can NOT address more than 3.18Gb of ram, no matter how much you put in it.

3.18Gb is not enough for windows 10. So windoze will be paging like crazy. Probably a spinning platter too which are very slow.

You just can't make the old stuff work w/ the modern OSs and actually be able to do anything.

another vote for getting him a new computer.

Mar 26, 2021
Mar 26, 2021
The motherboard specs seem to be saying is only 32bit.
If you can get into windows, right click over the taskbar and select 'system' See what it says the OS is, 32bit or 64bit.
I suspect you'll find that it's a 32bit system in which case it can NOT address more than 3.18Gb of ram, no matter how much you put in it.

3.18Gb is not enough for windows 10. So windoze will be paging like crazy. Probably a spinning platter too which are very slow.

You just can't make the old stuff work w/ the modern OSs and actually be able to do anything.

another vote for getting him a new computer.

I already checked the motherboard specs. What it actually says is it will only support UP TO 4GB on 32bit PCS. Doesn't say anything about only being 32bit.

I already have 64bit installed on the computer, but due to having a HDD and only 2GB of ram, I thought an SSD and 4GB would allow the system to work a little bit better considering he's only going to be using the computer for the playing old games like Medal of honor Allied Assault and browsing the web.

Reactions: SamirD