Will 32GB ram over 16GB increase FPS?

netanelbb

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
Will 32GB Ram over 16GB increase FPS?
i'm talking about 2X8GB 3600MHZ CL17 RAM.
and a rtx 2080 ti.

MOTHERBOARD: Z390-h

Well i know some of you will say no. as games take 10 or less.
But i've seen so many youtube videos that shows increase on ~10 fps with 32GB instead of 16GB

Solution

Your question makes no sense. If you want the best gaming performance that you can possibly buy, then the z390 and i9 9900K is the platform to do it. The High End Desktop platform is NOT designed for gaming performance, and if you throw money at it for gaming you are wasting a colossal amount of money for nothing at all. Games can not leverage the core counts that are available on x299 or Threadripper platforms.

The AMD Threadripper and the TR4 based systems offer the absolute best price performance ratio for the money in the high end desktop space, threadripper is a quad channel based system, but it cant game as well as Intel's i9 9900K commercial platform or...

Lutfij

Titan
Not really, you're fine with a 16GB kit so long as you're at DDR4-3200MHz. I wouldn't believe everything I see on YT. Usually keep a table spoon of salt handy when being fed with dodgy information. If you were rendering on the other hand, using CAD software's then yes the higher ram will benefit you. Games, not so much.

netanelbb

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
Well i've seen 6+ videos that shows that if you run ram on a Quad Channel you get more FPS.
My motherboard seems to say it supports only "Dual Channel" 4X Sticks slots.

if i put 4X8 rams in there its considered Quad Channel right?

finitekosmos

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017
No.

However the answer is a bit more complex than that. If your computer has a lot of background applications, services, etc open and running there is a chance that when you launch a title that some of the contents of RAM may need to be dropped into the system page file which incurs a performance hit. However if you have enough system RAM to run all the background processes your computer needs then adding more RAM will do absolutely nothing for gaming performance and in some cases fully populating all the DIMM slots on a system can incur a performance penalty.

Opting for faster RAM or tuning the CAS timings would likely yield better results than throwing more RAM at it, unless you really are operating a system with a large background taskload

finitekosmos

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017

Potentially, if you actually have a CPU that utilizes four channels. Intel's HEDT x299 platform offers Quad channel memory support with a corresponding 8 RAM slots.

USAFRet

Titan

No.
That depends 100% on the motherboard supporting "quad channel". It's not simply 4x RAM sticks.

2X8GB 3600MHZ CL17 RAM is not 32GB ram.

Use of multiple RAM kits have no guarantee to be compatible together from memory manufacturers. Memory is guaranteed in the form sold.

Use of multiple kits mean you will assume responsibility for compatibility testing with no guarantees.

Shoomer

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016

finitekosmos

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017

Hi USAFRet Your answer like mine is about halfway right! I realised I only half answered the question and you made me realise which half was missing LOL. :)

The RAM specs supported are defined by the CPU IMC including the channels available, you need both a CPU that supports Quad Channel RAM and a mobo with the infrastructure to support it, together in order to use Quad Channel RAM.

This is one of the many reasons why the Kaby Lake X series CPU's was a dead end, since using one of them on a quad channel x299 board disabled half the RAM slots along with a couple of of PCIe slots, etc. too.

finitekosmos

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017

Your question makes no sense. If you want the best gaming performance that you can possibly buy, then the z390 and i9 9900K is the platform to do it. The High End Desktop platform is NOT designed for gaming performance, and if you throw money at it for gaming you are wasting a colossal amount of money for nothing at all. Games can not leverage the core counts that are available on x299 or Threadripper platforms.

The AMD Threadripper and the TR4 based systems offer the absolute best price performance ratio for the money in the high end desktop space, threadripper is a quad channel based system, but it cant game as well as Intel's i9 9900K commercial platform or the Ryzen Platform. x299 is also great if you are creator with massive render tasks that demand high core count CPU's and IPC, but they are damned expensive for what they offer and they do not perform in gaming as well as the existing z370 platform. If you are looking at acquiring a quad channel system simply to run games at a higher frame rate you are wasting your time and money especially on the High End Desktop platform.

Solution