[SOLVED] Will 850W be enough for I9 build?

Astralv

Distinguished
Hey there

I already have EVGA 850W Gold power supply (bought last year as a package deal). I want to use it as I can't send it back- it is a year old in a box. I am building a workstation with I9 13900K, BeQuiet Air Cooler, Asus Hero Motherboard, 4 M2 SSDs, at least 3 HDDs, nVidea RTX 3070-4070 graphics. I have several builds with simmilar confogurations and number of drives that work ok with 850W PSUs, but on EVGA website it recommends at least 1000W for such system. I was ready to put it together any day now, not feeling like waiting for another PSU or spend more money. What you think, can I get away with i9 on 850 Gold? Thank you.

Solution
The EVGA GA units seem to have problems with tripping protections due to high transient power spikes on cards that tend to have spiking problems, which is just about everything mid tier or higher from both camps in the last two generations. I think you are probably fine with that unit but I'd be aware of those GA units having this issue so that if it happens you understand what is happening and can remedy it by replacing it with a better unit immediately.

From what I see, the recommended (for now anyhow since there are no reviews or products to review yet) capacity for an RTX 4070 equipped system is 600w. I doubt that covers transient spikes or what they are calling power excursions, which the newer ATX 3.0 standard requires because...
No idea if you end up using an RTX 4070, since we had no clue what the power draw is going to be on those, but assuming it is similar to the RTX 3080, you should be fine so long as it is a decent model.

850w EVGA Gold, is NOT a model. What is the ACTUAL model of your EVGA 850w power supply?

The EVGA GA units seem to have problems with tripping protections due to high transient power spikes on cards that tend to have spiking problems, which is just about everything mid tier or higher from both camps in the last two generations. I think you are probably fine with that unit but I'd be aware of those GA units having this issue so that if it happens you understand what is happening and can remedy it by replacing it with a better unit immediately.

From what I see, the recommended (for now anyhow since there are no reviews or products to review yet) capacity for an RTX 4070 equipped system is 600w. I doubt that covers transient spikes or what they are calling power excursions, which the newer ATX 3.0 standard requires because all these cards have them. 850w should be plenty of capacity for your system. Whether the PSU in question is of sufficient quality or performs well enough, is really unknown because we only have data from owners with no professional reviews on these units to go by.

Solution

Astralv

Distinguished
If I understand you correctly, the graphic cards may cause transient spikes in power consumption which may be tripping EVGA GA power supplies? What are the symptoms? Will ot shot down, restart, how would I know it happening? I was told that i9 processors are demending on power, and thought I would need more efficient PSU. But I happened to have this PSU from last year when NewEgg was combining GPU with things we didn't need. Long as it would not cause a damage to the system, I am willing to try. Thank you.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
If I understand you correctly, the graphic cards may cause transient spikes in power consumption which may be tripping EVGA GA power supplies? What are the symptoms? Will ot shot down, restart, how would I know it happening? I was told that i9 processors are demending on power, and thought I would need more efficient PSU. But I happened to have this PSU from last year when NewEgg was combining GPU with things we didn't need. Long as it would not cause a damage to the system, I am willing to try. Thank you.
It should shut down when/if it trips a safety you would need to turn the PSU off and back on to get it to start.

If you already have it I would try it and see if it trips.