[SOLVED] Will a cat6 S/FTP with better shielding be better at removing interference than a cat6 UTP ethernet cable?Does it lower latency vs the UTP one?

dan1991Ro

Reputable
Oct 1, 2019
I will replace my current cable that is really bent, stepped on and distressed and wanted to get a better cable.Is a metal conector S/FTP better than a simple cat6 UTP metal conector cable?I am specifically interested in latency, for games.Will the better cable reject electric interference from the room so will reduce ping or latency or not?I dont understand much about this so bear with me.
I am NOT concerned about speed, i know i can get 600mbps from a cat5e and i did(thats my old cable).
I know that UTP cables are more flexible than S/FTP so i am leaning towards that, BUT if the S/FTP with all the bells and whistles cable can lower latency, i'll get that(the cost is really 2 euro more).

Solution
I will replace my current cable that is really bent, stepped on and distressed and wanted to get a better cable.Is a metal conector S/FTP better than a simple cat6 UTP metal conector cable?I am specifically interested in latency, for games.Will the better cable reject electric interference from the room so will reduce ping or latency or not?I dont understand much about this so bear with me.
I am NOT concerned about speed, i know i can get 600mbps from a cat5e and i did(thats my old cable).
I know that UTP cables are more flexible than S/FTP so i am leaning towards that, BUT if the S/FTP with all the bells and whistles cable can lower latency, i'll get that(the cost is really 2 euro more).
No. There is not enough electrical...

kanewolf

Titan
No. There is not enough electrical interference in a home environment. Latency will not change.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
Perhaps if you're laying the cable directly on flourecent lights in the ceiling, you might need shielded cable, but for the most part it will do zero to help with latency.
I worked in a data center with enough EMI to cook hotdogs. Unshielded cable was never an issue. The twisted pairs are there for a reason. To negate noise. Shielding is more likely to cause a ground loop, because it isn't done correctly.

There is no ethernet cable that will reduce the latency. The time it takes for signals to travel in copper wire is some fixed percentage of the speed of light. The cable length technically will make a difference but it is such a tiny value you could never detect it. If you really want to know you can calculate it yourself.

If you were to get interference it will causes data errors and packets to be discarded it will not cause the data to take more time.