[SOLVED] Will a cheap motherboard affect performance?

Aug 10, 2020
I'm going to get a ryzen 5 3600 and gtx 1660 super, I got mixed advice on the motherboards. I'm trying to save money by getting a cheaper motherboard so I can buy other stuff like a better ssd and more ram. But apparently the b450's I'm looking at have bad "vrm"? Like pro4, d3sh etc. and I'm told I atleast need a b550, x570 but I just don't have the budget for it. Does a cheap motherboard really affect performance? I'm not going to overclock. If motherboards really matter then I don't want to bottleneck the cpu and gpu. And please suggest which one to get if they do matter.

Solution
They won't bottleneck your CPU or GPU. They can have some smaller differences, but nothing significant. The main choice of motherboard comes down to what headers you need, the VRMs (more if you're overclocking or running a much higher end CPU on an older gen MB).

But if you're not doing either of those, then just get a motherboard from a reputed brand that has all the things you need on it.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
They won't bottleneck your CPU or GPU. They can have some smaller differences, but nothing significant. The main choice of motherboard comes down to what headers you need, the VRMs (more if you're overclocking or running a much higher end CPU on an older gen MB).

But if you're not doing either of those, then just get a motherboard from a reputed brand that has all the things you need on it.

Solution