Will a clean install of Windows 10 delete files on ALL partitions?

dimashr12345

Reputable
Aug 13, 2014
Hello, everyone!

Recently, I have been experiencing some issues with my PC, and I thought that an easy way to solve them all would be to do a clean re-installation of Windows 10, or returning it to factory settings. I am planning to use the built-in feature to reset PC, which warns the user that personal files will be deleted. I have 3 partitions (C, E and F), C being the system partition, and on the last 2 I have a lot of important files, which altogether are too large to back up to any of my external storage devices.
Therefore, I'd like to ask someone who has had previous experience of resetting their Windows 10 PC, whether this process deletes files only on the system partition, or on ALL of them. I know that if I install the image from a USB drive, or a DVD, it will ask me which partitions I want formatted and where to install the system, but sadly I don't have the means of creating a live DVD/USB, so my only way to go is to use the built-in tool.

P.S My PC is Acer V3-572G-787K with the following specifications: CPU - Intel Core i7 4510U 2.0 GHz, GPU - Nvidia 840M 2GB, RAM - 8GB DDR3, HDD - 1000GB (Manufacturer unknown)

Thank you in advance for your help.

Solution
A reset to factory settings means that if you bought the system and then created the extra partitions for your data, then resetting to factory settings would, IMO, remove those created partitions (and their data) to restore your system to the way it was when you first opened the box after you got it home.

First thing I would try would be to create your own install media using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. If you can successfully create your own media, then you would just wipe and install on your C: Partition.

-Wolf sends
Well, it shouldn't as C: drive is your main partition. However, different OEMs may do a reset differently. Many people may give you different answers. Rule of them, if you are unsure, backup your data to the cloud or physical media. That way, you know you won't lose it. Better to be safe than sorry.

Wolfshadw

Titan
A reset to factory settings means that if you bought the system and then created the extra partitions for your data, then resetting to factory settings would, IMO, remove those created partitions (and their data) to restore your system to the way it was when you first opened the box after you got it home.

First thing I would try would be to create your own install media using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. If you can successfully create your own media, then you would just wipe and install on your C: Partition.

-Wolf sends

Solution

dimashr12345

Reputable
Aug 13, 2014

Thank you for your answer. I think I will get a new flash drive, and create a live USB.