[SOLVED] Will a component short affect other parts when tested?

Nov 9, 2018
I think there's a short on my GPU due to some black char marks on the board near the PCI-E bus. Or at least it isn't working correctly.

My question is if I test the GPU out on another computer could a short from the GPU negatively affect the mobo or other parts?

Thanks in advance

Solution
The GPU is very closely tied up to some mobo components and the chipset. So yes it could have have affected mobo components too.

But, complex electronics circuitry like PC motherboard are unpredictable.

Usually during a short circuit, the charred part takes up all the current without affecting other parts.
Your motherboard's problem might have been because of a GPU. So, here, your GPU could have caused the problem first.

Can you share your Motherboard model, GPU details.

ARAN_108

Reputable
Aug 11, 2016
The GPU is very closely tied up to some mobo components and the chipset. So yes it could have have affected mobo components too.

But, complex electronics circuitry like PC motherboard are unpredictable.

Usually during a short circuit, the charred part takes up all the current without affecting other parts.
Your motherboard's problem might have been because of a GPU. So, here, your GPU could have caused the problem first.

Can you share your Motherboard model, GPU details.

Solution
Nov 9, 2018
It's a Biostar TZ77XE3 and 1060 6GB. Taking a closer look the #1 PCI-E bus itself looks like it took some damage too and a few of the pin-outs are busted in the same spot where the black marks on the 1060 PCI-E connection was. So definitely a short.

I'm going to try to either use a different card in the #2 PCI-E or swap mobos with another comp that doesn't need a card (uses the CPU's Intel Graphics).

I won't be attempting to test the 1060 unless it's on parts I don't care about losing due to the risk.

Thanks.

ARAN_108

Reputable
Aug 11, 2016

Try out this GPU in a really cheap PC or something that you buy in the flea market. I would test a GPU like this in my office :p.

As far as this motherboard is concerned. If you have Intel processor, use the internal GFX.