Will a DVD-R Dual Layer work in all players or drives?

Solution
Original DVD movies discs are dual layer. If your DVD ROM can read and play DVD movies it can READ Dual Layer-R Disc.

Dual Layer came about since the first generation writable/Rewritable disc are single layer 4 Gbyte Capacity. The Dual Layer writable/Rewritable disc (8 Gbyte) came out in the early 2000.

DVD ROMS and Stand Alone Player are designed to read Dual Layer as DVD movies are Dual Layer ( Gbyte format discs).

Your ROM can read dual layer writable/rewritable discs just like my old 2x 4x speed DVD drive

leon2006

Distinguished
Original DVD movies discs are dual layer. If your DVD ROM can read and play DVD movies it can READ Dual Layer-R Disc.

Dual Layer came about since the first generation writable/Rewritable disc are single layer 4 Gbyte Capacity. The Dual Layer writable/Rewritable disc (8 Gbyte) came out in the early 2000.

DVD ROMS and Stand Alone Player are designed to read Dual Layer as DVD movies are Dual Layer ( Gbyte format discs).

Your ROM can read dual layer writable/rewritable discs just like my old 2x 4x speed DVD drive

Solution

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You might want to take away that "Best Answer" award when you find out the truth. Many early stand-alone readers could not read DVD-R Dual Layer format. Some could read DVD-R but not DVD+R in single-layer format. I believe programming was the issue, as many experts used to alter the "book type" of writable media to make drives detect it as pressed media.

Majestic One

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
well, it's 2012 now and was actually (without creating a NEW thread if you (crashman) or anyone else can verify approximately what years could we all begin to see almost if not all DL's being read by single layer drives?
Thanks for the update, all. :hello:

because i have some 8GB Double Layer discs full of data, and i want to give one to a friend and i KNOW he does not have a DL drive.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't believe there's any such thing as a single-layer reader. The problem was with early standalone readers (not computer drives), not reading various types of WRITABLE media.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, I edited it to say reader since that's what I meant. Obviously single-layer writers were around for a couple years, I even had one.

Majestic One

Distinguished
May 1, 2011

NO NO NO - i wasn't laughing at you... it is true!! there are no single...
well... you know what i mean.

courtroom74

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
Well, after reading this post. I'm really confused now. My father gave me some old (2000-2004) DVDs which I use the Cyberlink to create an image. I was going to put it on the DVD +RW but failed and find out that it has 7+ gb so I order some DVD +R DL. It created the image on DVD +R DL but I can't play it on any of my home DVD players, both Blue Ray and non-BlueRays. Both players are fairly recent. However, I have no problem when playing on my laptop. Any ideas why?

Thanks.