Question Will a external sound card fix audio issues

Nov 13, 2019
My microphone has been playing my output audio even when muted. I have updated all my drivers, gotten a USB audio adapter for the 3.5mm jacks, restored my PC to a point before the issue, and contacted ASUS support for my TUF B450M-Plus Gaming motherboard. Issue still persists

Asus Support said it sounded like a hardware issue and requested an RMA (return to fix or replace) but that is a long process. If I got an external sound card could that fix my microphone issues? Worth trying to get a new headset? Just need suggestions on what to try, I am fairly new to PC building

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
you already have. the USB to 3.5mm adapter is an external sound chip/card/device.the headset plugs into the adapter and the adapter connects to USB? this is an external sound device.
if that did not fix it another would likely fail too.
does the headset work on other devices? any problems on a phone or other audio source?

Nov 13, 2019
I feel fairly stupid but my relief is palpable. The headphones are broken, tried them on my brother's laptop and had the same issue. Got these steel series a month ago and assumed they would still be working :/
Thanks for the prompt response