Question Will a Gigabyte 970A-DS3P support Duel graphics

Deathstrike1987

Prominent
Apr 10, 2019
Hi im looking at getting a new motherboard my recent one has passed and I am looking into getting a new one my pc is old and I needed a motherboard with ddr3 ram and a am3 or am3+ socket and I found this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-9...3+motherboard&qid=1554946242&s=gateway&sr=8-1
Which is all that I would need on my old motherboard I ran 2 GPUs a 1030 and a 1050ti after looking at it and downloading a manuel of it I sore it had a Pcix16 running at x16 and a Pcix16 running at x4 if it dose work with both my GPUs which slots should I put them in and would it affect my performance I am new to this so needed some help thanks😀

Deathstrike1987

Prominent
Apr 10, 2019
This is the manual if the link works it is a PDF file though so will be needed to be downloaded
GA-970A-DS3P PDFhttps://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com if you put that into Google you should be able to get it

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Gt/gtx anything is nvidia based cards. R#/x is amd based cards. Gigabyte is the vendor. You have a gt 1030 and a gtx1050ti. They do not work in sli (2 cards simultaneously) but will work seperately or with the GT1030 as a dedicated physX gpu. Low end motherboards do not support sli, which is for nvidia cards, they'll only support crossfire which is for amd cards and not quite the same thing although similar.

Basically, the 1050ti is the better card, use it by itself as adding the other card is useless, you can't use it, and just sucks power from the psu and adds heat to the pc.

Deathstrike1987

Prominent
Apr 10, 2019
Gt/gtx anything is nvidia based cards. R#/x is amd based cards. Gigabyte is the vendor. You have a gt 1030 and a gtx1050ti. They do not work in sli (2 cards simultaneously) but will work seperately or with the GT1030 as a dedicated physX gpu. Low end motherboards do not support sli, which is for nvidia cards, they'll only support crossfire which is for amd cards and not quite the same thing although similar.

Basically, the 1050ti is the better card, use it by itself as adding the other card is useless, you can't use it, and just sucks power from the psu and adds heat to the pc.
Ok thanks😀

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If you look at higher end cards, towards the rear is a couple of slots where you can see bits of the pcb board sticking out. This is the sli/crossfire bridge. When you put 2 identical type (can be different vendors, but otherwise must be the same) cards in the slots, there's a ribbon or hard physical bridge that attaches onto those bits of pcb and physically joins the cards together.

Nvidia used to support sli in lower end cards, but since the 10series has quit that, you cannot physically sli any card of gtx1060 or below, the cards do not have the bridge capability.

So you can stick 2x identical gtx1050ti in even a mobo that has x8/x8 instead of x16/x4 and it still will not sli, the cards don't support it, even if the mobo does.

What you will get is a pc that has 2 gpus in it, both sucking juice from the psu and you'll have a picture on a monitor from whichever card it's plugged into. If you only have 1 monitor, the second gpu is entirely unused and won't add anything to anything anywhere. If you plug in 2 monitors, each gpu will power each monitor, but you'll only game on the primary, the secondary doing nothing but show wallpaper. Better hope you game on the 1050ti, because if the GT1030 is primary you'll get really lousy fps and the 1050ti will be doing nothing.

Last edited:

Wolfshadw

Titan
You CAN install both cards into your system, but they WILL NOT work in conjunction with each other to improve performance (SLI).

ONLY if you have a requirement for more monitors that either card will support individually should you attempt this. Otherwise, just install the GTX1050Ti in the PCI-Ex16 slot and leave the PCI-Ex16 (x4) slot empty.

-Wolf sends

Deathstrike1987

Prominent
Apr 10, 2019
You CAN install both cards into your system, but they WILL NOT work in conjunction with each other to improve performance (SLI).

ONLY if you have a requirement for more monitors that either card will support individually should you attempt this. Otherwise, just install the GTX1050Ti in the PCI-Ex16 slot and leave the PCI-Ex16 (x4) slot empty.

-Wolf sends
Thanks

Deathstrike1987

Prominent
Apr 10, 2019
If you look at higher end cards, towards the rear is a couple of slots where you can see bits of the pcb board sticking out. This is the sli/crossfire bridge. When you put 2 identical type (can be different vendors, but otherwise must be the same) cards in the slots, there's a ribbon or hard physical bridge that attaches onto those bits of pcb and physically joins the cards together.

Nvidia used to support sli in lower end cards, but since the 10series has quit that, you cannot physically sli any card of gtx1060 or below, the cards do not have the bridge capability.

So you can stick 2x identical gtx1050ti in even a mobo that has x8/x8 instead of x16/x4 and it still will not sli, the cards don't support it, even if the mobo does.

What you will get is a pc that has 2 gpus in it, both sucking juice from the psu and you'll have a picture on a monitor from whichever card it's plugged into. If you only have 1 monitor, the second gpu is entirely unused and won't add anything to anything anywhere. If you plug in 2 monitors, each gpu will power each monitor, but you'll only game on the primary, the secondary doing nothing but show wallpaper. Better hope you game on the 1050ti, because if the GT1030 is primary you'll get really lousy fps and the 1050ti will be doing nothing.
Thanks this helped alot