Question Will a GTX 1650 Super 4GB (with a 6-pin adapter) work with a Dell Optiplex 9020 and 290w 80+ Gold PSU?

Mar 10, 2024
I have a Dell Optiplex 9020 With 290 watt 80 plus gold PSU let me explain all the components in detail which are installed in my PC
(power supply) 290 watt 80 plus gold
(HDD) 1tb 2.5 slim
(SSD) 512 GB 2.5 Samsung
(FANS) CPU stock cooling fan which comes prebuilt in this system and one cooling fan in the backside which also comes prebuilt in this system
(RAM) 2*8 1600mhz ram
(CPU) i7 4790
these are all the components which is available on my PC right now the only thing that is missing is a GPU I am looking for a GPU for my PC, and the one I selected is a gtx 1650 super 4 GB with 6-pin connector I will mention some of the GPU which can easily fit in that PC case

GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER™ VENTUS XS (MSI)
  • The ASUS Phoenix GeForce® GTX 1650 SUPER™ OC Edition (ASUS)
  • ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce® GTX 1650 SUPER™ OC Edition (ASUS)
  • ZOTAC GAMING GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER Twin Fan (ZOTAC)
  • GeForce® GTX 1650 SUPER GP (PALAT)
  • GeForce® GTX 1650 SUPER StormX (PALAT)
  • GeForce® GTX 1650 SUPER™ D6 4G (GIGABYTE)
  • GeForce® GTX 1650 SUPER™ WINDFORCE OC 4G (GIGABYTE)
as for my little question, I want to ask the community if I buy that card and then insert it into my PC it will safely run and work with all games when I play them in 1080p high sitting when the CPU and GPU are on full stress please guide me I interested in this card it will be so awesome for me if this card works perfectly in my PC without psu upgrade or anything else I request to people who have same PC and already running it with same species please guide me

(power supply) 290 watt
all of the GTX 1650 Super that i remember had a recommended power supply of at least 350w.

if this is a high performance model unit, which i doubt being in a prebuilt OEM system,
and if it offers the correct PCIe power cables then it may work.
but the card could likely be limited by the 290w PSU.

could also lead to system crashes, graphical issues, game/application crashes, etc.
while you may be able to limit the power used by the card, it would probably negate getting the Super version if you are manually limiting it's performance.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i have a 1650 super and it averages about 90w in a gaming scenario.

it can reach 100w in a stress test but 80-90w is a good usage to factor into the system needs.

stock 4790 runs about the same.

if you keep the rest of the system to the minimum, then it'll likely be ok.

can you post a pic of the psu label for us? they actually had some really good stock units for a while and some not so good ones. so it really depends what psu you have whether it's a good idea or not.