[SOLVED] Will a i7 2700k work for me?

Apr 21, 2020
Will the i7 2700k work for me? These are my specs, im currently trying too upgrade my cpu.

Specs:
i5 2400
GTX 1050Ti
1TB HDD
8gb ram
CX450 psu
0M5DCD mobo
OptiPlex 390

As stated above looks like the 2600K is the best that mobo will support however you shouldnt spend too much on it since an old chip like that should be 30-50 USD tops.

Anything more it might just be better to save up for a new/newish modern mobo, RAM and CPU. You can find used 2nd gen Ryzen and DDR4 RAM stuff pretty chea,p which IMO would be a better investment in the long run if the 2600Ks are out of reasonable price ranges.

Reactions: RodroX
Apr 21, 2020
As stated above looks like the 2600K is the best that mobo will support however you shouldnt spend too much on it since an old chip like that should be 30-50 USD tops.

Anything more it might just be better to save up for a new/newish modern mobo, RAM and CPU. You can find used 2nd gen Ryzen and DDR4 RAM stuff pretty chea,p which IMO would be a better investment in the long run if the 2600Ks are out of reasonable price ranges.
I can get a i7 2600 right now for 65$, which is not alot for me. Plus im not really looking too get a new gaming pc until I want too play more demanding games. All I really care about is if its gonna work.

I can get a i7 2600 right now for 65$, which is not alot for me. Plus im not really looking too get a new gaming pc until I want too play more demanding games. All I really care about is if its gonna work.

65 bucks for a 4 core CPU from 10 years ago is a rip off. You can find a Ryzen 2600 for roughly the same amount, which will net you a 6 core CPU on a platform that is far more modern. A new or used B450 mobo will be anywhere from 40-80 USD and you can find new DDR4 2x8GB 3200MHZ RAM for about 60 bucks. Probably 40 if you buy used.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Those older cpus are holding their value because ppl keep upgrading to them. With finite supply and higher than normal demand, ppl are asking stupid prices, and getting them.

The skinny on Dell is that they are a 3rd party OEM. They tailor their Bios AND Windows versions, because they can. Might have started out as Asus or MSI or Gigabyte or Microsoft but now it's Dell.

Dell has always produced several different levels of any particular model, even allowing for custom orders. This means, you got what you bought and there's little you can do with either the motherboard or the cpu. They feel if you wanted an i7, you should have spent the extra and bought the model with the i7. And this is enforced via the bios. Forget whatever the chipset is, that doesn't apply, Dell threw it out. The ONLY cpus that will work in any Dell pc are the ones that pertain to that particular model. A couple of i3's, a splattering of i5's and maybe an i7 IF one of the custom built pc's offered the i7.

Dell doesn't want you to upgrade, they want you to buy a better equipped pc, from them. You can't even transfer Windows, it's tied to the motherboard and you don't even own it, Dell does. Change the motherboard to fit a better cpu, you no longer own a Dell and now must buy your own Windows.

Honestly, it's had its day, save up, build your own, a lot less limitations and you own it, nobody else.

gtarayan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
65 bucks for a 4 core CPU from 10 years ago is a rip off. You can find a Ryzen 2600 for roughly the same amount

While R5 2600 is much better, and is worth the additional money, you cannot typically buy it for $65 unless you are talking about random sales for below market value (anyone purchased Ansel Adams original negatives worth 200 million for $45 recently?) 2600 usually sells for $100 to $115. Again, it is a much better value than i7 2600k for $65. But then you'd need a new motherboard, DDR4 ram and a new Windows licence (unless you are running a different OS).

If you simply need to extend your system's life for another year or so in its existing state, a $65 expense is totally worth it(assuming the CPU is supported).

Last edited:
While R5 2600 is much better, and is worth the additional money, you cannot typically buy it for $65 unless you are talking about random sales for below market value (anyone purchased Ansel Adams original negatives worth 200 million for $45 recently?) 2600 usually sells for $100 to $115. Again, it is a much better value than i7 2600k for $65. But then you'd need a new motherboard, DDR4 ram and a new Windows licence (unless you are running a different OS).

If you simply need to extend your system's life for another year or so in its existing state, $65 expense is totally worth it.

I just checked eBay and at least in the US there are starting bids int eh 60 dollar range. Yes new a Ryzen 2600 will run 120 on sale, but I dont see why not save 40 bucks and buy a used instead. A used B450 or even B350 mobo is pretty cheap and DDR4 is cheap new and used.

As far as a Windows key, you can either run windows not activated with a water mark or buy a cheap OEM key for 20-30 bucks usually.

Apr 21, 2020
65 bucks for a 4 core CPU from 10 years ago is a rip off. You can find a Ryzen 2600 for roughly the same amount, which will net you a 6 core CPU on a platform that is far more modern. A new or used B450 mobo will be anywhere from 40-80 USD and you can find new DDR4 2x8GB 3200MHZ RAM for about 60 bucks. Probably 40 if you buy used.
I do not care about how much money it is. I just want too know if its gonna work. Im not getting ryzen since my motherboard doesnt support it. I can buy a whole new gaming pc if I wanted too.

gtarayan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
I just checked eBay and at least in the US there are starting bids int eh 60 dollar range. Yes new a Ryzen 2600 will run 120 on sale, but I dont see why not save 40 bucks and buy a used instead. A used B450 or even B350 mobo is pretty cheap and DDR4 is cheap new and used.

Since the OP is not interested in Ryzen, I do not mean to derail his thread but I thought it'd be ok to address this.

You should go to ebay's advanced search, and check the box for "sold listings" - $113 shipped is the best you'll find.

EDIT

I do not care about how much money it is. I just want too know if its gonna work.

OP, check out a post in the middle of the page which references an updated microcode available for Optiplex 390. According to the post, your desired CPU is supported. I'd upgrade the BIOS with your existent CPU.

https://www.dell.com/community/Optiplex-Desktops/390-CPU-upgrades/td-p/5975479/page/2

Last edited:
I do not care about how much money it is. I just want too know if its gonna work. Im not getting ryzen since my motherboard doesnt support it. I can buy a whole new gaming pc if I wanted too.

Hey its your money spend it how you want (not being sarcastic, it really is your choice). And from what kanewolf found it seems like the 2600K will work.

I'm just giving my opinion on the matter and in my opinion is 65 bucks would be better spent towards a modern system if your budget would allow it. While there will be an performance upgrade getting the 2600K it wont be anything major.

logainofhades

Titan
An i7 2600 will help improve gaming performance, thanks to the extra threads, but you are still dumping money in to a on old, dead end, rig. I feel that $65 is too high of a price, though. I have seen full refurb i7 systems going for like $150, before. Now if this were a DIY rig, that would allow you to use a k series cpu, and overclock, I might feel a bit differently.

I'd just like to point out that while a Ryzen 5 2600 would obviously be an upgrade, it's only going to result in 10-30% more fps compared to an i7-2600K. That is going to be around a 10-20fps difference over the 2600k depending on the game and ram speed.

The Ryzen 5 3600 is around 25% faster than the R5 2600, so it makes more sense to grab Ryzen 5 3600 for around $150-165 new over the R5 2600 at ~$140 new. Used prices are obviously going to be lower, but it's the same situation. If you bought all new, you would be looking at around $300-350 for a B450 motherboard, 2x8GB DDR4 3200 CL16 or CL18 ram and a R5 3600. Add on another $25-70 for a 120-140mm tower cooler if needed.

There is the other issue of Ryzen 4000 coming out this year. To me it makes the most sense to wait and keep saving money; See how things look in 3-4 months and then decide.

logainofhades

Titan
Problem is this i7 2600 cannot be overclocked. The R5 2600 can overclock, widening the gap. You are going to have more consistent 1%/.1% low performance, with an R5 2600.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwrevie...k-revisit-2018-benchmarks-vs-9900k-ryzen-more

Granted, with their GPU, they might not see much of a difference, now, but future GPU upgrades, the difference is going to be quite noticeable. Personally, I would wait on fire sales of the R5 3600, with the 4000 series coming soon.