Question Will a Integrated CPU with a TDP of 95watts still use that watts when you install a dedicated gpu??

Apr 22, 2023
Will it somehow decrease the TDP of that integrated cpu when I have a dedicated GPU.

I have potato CPU
And a bottleneck GPU - GTX 1050ti

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Will it somehow decrease the TDP of that integrated cpu when I have a dedicated GPU.

I have potato CPU

Wattage and TDP are related, but not the same thing.

Regardless, you'll save a few watts from the CPU, but typically not enough to actually care about it any way. Hard to say more since you said "potato CPU" instead of actual information that could have been helpful.

Reactions: 丂卩乇乇ᗪ
Apr 22, 2023
So an integrated process will still exert usual heat like if the dedicated gpu wont handle a heat load from the integrated cpu that isnt being used?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
So an integrated process will still exert usual heat like if the dedicated gpu wont handle a heat load from the integrated cpu that isnt being used?
No, but this is a precise hobby and using the terminology relevant to the situation prevents serious errors from happening down the road. TDP is a spec for a CPU, not something that's variable depending on wattage.

I have potato CPU
The dedicated GPU will absolutely use a lot more power than the CPU....
If you are only doing office stuff and youtube you have to see if your CPU has an iGPU and if it does have hardware acceleration you can use that to save energy when browsing and watching videos.

If you keep the 1050ti in the system then you will be using more power than using the CPU alone.