Question Will a KVM switch allow for the use of shared USB wi-fi receiver?

kbidols

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Since a KVM switch has USB port for printer, will it allow for the use of shared USB wi-fi receiver between 2 computers?
Image is just for reference.

aPB5h9N.jpeg

I want to say yes as my KVM has the USB ports and great for keeping things simple. Here is where the only thing to keep in mind is there will be a delay as every time you switch computers the wifi will take a little while booting up on the computer your now using.

kbidols

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
I want to say yes as my KVM has the USB ports and great for keeping things simple. Here is where the only thing to keep in mind is there will be a delay as every time you switch computers the wifi will take a little while booting up on the computer your now using.
How long is the delay? If it's only a couple of seconds, I wouldn't mind.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
So called shared actually means any usb device can only be attached to one of the computer. It's not really sharing, it's just switching.

So if you are "sharing" a wifi adapter and switch to another PC, you probably always have to re-connect manually to wifi router even if automatic reconnect is on, when you switch back to original PC, you have to do it again.

This is something I never considered doing. I suspect you might have issues. It is all going to depend on what part of the wifi connection is being done by the chips in the USB wifi device and what part is being done by the driver in the machine.

Most the functions like talking to the router and encrypting the data is done by the wifi device where as the IP addresses are being done by the computer. If you were to switch this manually the USB device would lose power and it would re establish the connection. In this case the USB device has power all the time. It is going to be dependent on the computer to somehow detect this switch and fix any incompatibilities. You would think they would have designed the wifi to prevent someone from being able to hack into someones wifi using a similar method without knowing the passwords.