[SOLVED] Will a long ethernet cable affect speed?

mrb00ce

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020
So I'm moving from the 1st floor to the 2nd floor in my house but i don't want to move my modem from my room cause my sister needs to use the wifi without any signal loss and i prefer Ethernet over wifi for full speed so will a long Ethernet cable about 30 to 40m in length connecting from the 1st floor to the 2nd affect my speed?

Solution
As long as you don't need a cable longer than 90m, the speed should be the same.

Over 90m you will need an Ethernet repeater (likely to cost $15 with power adapter).
Short answer no, but be sure to use quality cable. Lots of fake cables on the market because of the high copper metal prices. Make sure the cable is pure copper, no cca, and has wire size 22-24 AWG, no flat or thin cables. You only need cat5e if the ports are 1gbit. Use cat6a if your ports are 10g. The port speed not the cable limits the
speed. Cable are rated to run a full 100 meters at full port speeds.

mrb00ce

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020
Short answer no, but be sure to use quality cable. Lots of fake cables on the market because of the high copper metal prices. Make sure the cable is pure copper, no cca, and has wire size 22-24 AWG, no flat or thin cables. You only need cat5e if the ports are 1gbit. Use cat6a if your ports are 10g. The port speed not the cable limits the
speed. Cable are rated to run a full 100 meters at full port speeds.
Will the weather affect the speed or the cable in anyway?

The 2 things that really destroy cable are the sun and things in soil. If it is say on the side of the house you could use normal paint to protect it against UV, and it would match your house if it is painted. If it is buried or running on the ground you need special cable.

Again be very careful a lot of outdoor cable is not pure copper it is CCA so read the fine print.