Question Will a network switch work at the end of a MOCA adapted network?

Rocketman6965

Prominent
Jun 29, 2022
I have Frontier fiber optic 1 Gig service. I want to hardwire eeros with Cat 7 already running through house. I’ll call it Family 1. I also want to run a second sub network called Family 2. This network would have MOCA. My question is if I can run a network switch at the end of that line for my streaming tv and computer.
I tried to paste my diagram.
Thanks, Joe

kanewolf

Titan
I have Frontier fiber optic 1 Gig service. I want to hardwire eeros with Cat 7 already running through house. I’ll call it Family 1. I also want to run a second sub network called Family 2. This network would have MOCA. My question is if I can run a network switch at the end of that line for my streaming tv and computer.
I tried to paste my diagram.
Thanks, Joe
Sure. But the two networks won't be separated from each other if that is what you desire.

I guess it depends on what your question is. What makes this confusing is you are using the terms "subnet" and imply you want a different network.

The moca connection is the more or less going to appear as a ethernet cable and the "network" would function the same as if you had run a second cable rather than using moca.

Reactions: Rocketman6965

USAFRet

Titan
Wondering about that Cat 7 cable - probably going to be problematic.....

Hope it is not flat cable.

Source? Full specs?
Indeed.

I got this promotion in an email from Amazon.
ooaRsD3.jpg

I laughed mightily.

Reactions: Ralston18

Rocketman6965

Prominent
Jun 29, 2022
I guess it depends on what your question is. What makes this confusing is you are using the terms "subnet" and imply you want a different network.

The moca connection is the more or less going to appear as a ethernet cable and the "network" would function the same as if you had run a second cable rather than using moca.
Thanks for reply. Yes. I’m sorry. I know it won’t be two networks but it can “show” as two networks as when I had a similar setup with xfinity. I hardwired my eeros as Family1 and the modem showed up as whatever name it had from factory. I let people join Family 1 to not take away from xfinity side that fed computer and tv’s. Maybe it doesn’t even accomplish that but my main reason for the question was to know if the coax cable with MOCA would support more than one device using an unassigned Ethernet switch. Thanks again

Rocketman6965

Prominent
Jun 29, 2022
Wondering about that Cat 7 cable - probably going to be problematic.....

Hope it is not flat cable.

Source? Full specs?
I wish I knew how to load a picture on here.
I’m not at the home yet. My tenant is still there. I know it is the standard Frontier modem which I believe is an Arris NVG443B. I’ll be using Frontier FCA-252 MOCA adapters and a NETGEAR 5 port unmanaged switch. Thanks

kanewolf

Titan
I wish I knew how to load a picture on here.
I’m not at the home yet. My tenant is still there. I know it is the standard Frontier modem which I believe is an Arris NVG443B. I’ll be using Frontier FCA-252 MOCA adapters and a NETGEAR 5 port unmanaged switch. Thanks
You can't load pictures here. Use imgr or another picture hosting site, then link them here.

Do not buy or use the device you have linked. I have no idea what that would be used for. It is not ethernet and I am unsure what signals that run over coax would run on the wires a ethernet cable uses. That is not a MoCA unit.

Having a moca function in the arris router just makes it a bit easier. You do not have to buy or cable anything special on the modem side. You just buy a moca unit in the remote room. You plug your devices into the ethernet in the remote room and it appears as though you connected the to a lan port on the router.

There is some small downsides to having the moca inside your modem/router. First this only supports the older moca 2.0 so is somewhat limited in speed..if I remember right you get about 600mbps. The newer moca 2.5 units can do full 1 gibit and in theory even 2.5gbit. The other downside is all your coax jacks must also be connected to the one that has internet coming into the house. The internet signal and the moca run on the same cables. This is also partially why the modem only support 2.0 moca since the faster versions can interfere with the docsis signal coming from the ISP.

BUT in the end just buy a moca unit and hook it up. It is easy to get running and is more than fast enough for most people

Rocketman6965

Prominent
Jun 29, 2022
Do not buy or use the device you have linked. I have no idea what that would be used for. It is not ethernet and I am unsure what signals that run over coax would run on the wires a ethernet cable uses. That is not a MoCA unit.

Having a moca function in the arris router just makes it a bit easier. You do not have to buy or cable anything special on the modem side. You just buy a moca unit in the remote room. You plug your devices into the ethernet in the remote room and it appears as though you connected the to a lan port on the router.

There is some small downsides to having the moca inside your modem/router. First this only supports the older moca 2.0 so is somewhat limited in speed..if I remember right you get about 600mbps. The newer moca 2.5 units can do full 1 gibit and in theory even 2.5gbit. The other downside is all your coax jacks must also be connected to the one that has internet coming into the house. The internet signal and the moca run on the same cables. This is also partially why the modem only support 2.0 moca since the faster versions can interfere with the docsis signal coming from the ISP.

BUT in the end just buy a moca unit and hook it up. It is easy to get running and is more than fast enough for most people
Thank you for that. The MOCA adapters I have call for one on modem side and the other on device(s) side if using a non MOCA enabled modem. Since this one is MOCA enabled I planned to use the adapter on modem side only since it only has Ethernet ports, to the coax running through the wall. At this point, in my pea brain, I believe the signal has been converted? So the adapter would only be to plug in my Ethernet switch to feed computer and smart tv

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you for that. The MOCA adapters I have call for one on modem side and the other on device(s) side if using a non MOCA enabled modem. Since this one is MOCA enabled I planned to use the adapter on modem side only since it only has Ethernet ports, to the coax running through the wall. At this point, in my pea brain, I believe the signal has been converted? So the adapter would only be to plug in my Ethernet switch to feed computer and smart tv
That thing is not a "MOCA" device.
No idea what it is.

Thanks for reply. Yes. I’m sorry. I know it won’t be two networks but it can “show” as two networks as when I had a similar setup with xfinity. I hardwired my eeros as Family1 and the modem showed up as whatever name it had from factory. I let people join Family 1 to not take away from xfinity side that fed computer and tv’s. Maybe it doesn’t even accomplish that but my main reason for the question was to know if the coax cable with MOCA would support more than one device using an unassigned Ethernet switch. Thanks again

This is what I do with my Ubiquiti network, except with my access points I can set a speed limit. So guests are limited to 100mbps.

Rocketman6965

Prominent
Jun 29, 2022
This is what I do with my Ubiquiti network, except with my access points I can set a speed limit. So guests are limited to 100mbps.
Thank you! I’ll look in to limiting the speeds for the eero part of the network to leave my computer and TV’s free

Latest posts