Question Will a network switch work at the end of a MOCA adapted network?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rocketman6965

Prominent
Jun 29, 2022
What you could do is set the guest network ssid to only broadcast at 2.4ghz with a 20mhz channelwidth. So they would be phyiscally limited to about 40mbps, which would have the same effect.
Yeah you can’t do that on the eero’s either. I don’t plan on having a bunch of people over and if they’re there to watch a movie, I’ll tell them to turn off phones LOL

Yeah you can’t do that on the eero’s either. I don’t plan on having a bunch of people over and if they’re there to watch a movie, I’ll tell them to turn off phones LOL

Unless their phones are downloading a massive update, you should be fine with 1gig service.

Eventually when you upgrade your wifi in the future, I would get something that's not so "dumbed down" technologically. Sure, it's better for normal everyday people to have less options and less configuration. But for people that know a little about technology, it's better to have options.

Rocketman6965

Prominent
Jun 29, 2022
Unless their phones are downloading a massive update, you should be fine with 1gig service.

Eventually when you upgrade your wifi in the future, I would get something that's not so "dumbed down" technologically. Sure, it's better for normal everyday people to have less options and less configuration. But for people that know a little about technology, it's better to have options.
Other than me, what’s so “dumbed down,” the design, modem, eeros?

Other than me, what’s so “dumbed down,” the design, modem, eeros?

ISP's also have dumbed down wifi routers. The reason is simplicity and ease of diagnostics. There are essentially no customizations on ISP routers other than the SSID name and password. That way if there's a problem, the ISP operator can reset the unit easily. There's nothing to screw up in the software. So if a reset doesn't resolve the issue, then likely the hardware has failed and must be replaced.

The EERO is just 1 step above that. It has some customizations but is still purposely kept simple to prevent technical support calls. There's less to screw up.

Asus routers are enthusiast prosumer grade. The software has alot of options. The UI is kept manageable, but you do need to know what you're doing to adjust some of the parameters. However if you're tech savvy, it's easy to figure out.

Rocketman6965

Prominent
Jun 29, 2022
ISP's also have dumbed down wifi routers. The reason is simplicity and ease of diagnostics. There are essentially no customizations on ISP routers other than the SSID name and password. That way if there's a problem, the ISP operator can reset the unit easily. There's nothing to screw up in the software. So if a reset doesn't resolve the issue, then likely the hardware has failed and must be replaced.

The EERO is just 1 step above that. It has some customizations but is still purposely kept simple to prevent technical support calls. There's less to screw up.

Asus routers are enthusiast prosumer grade. The software has alot of options. The UI is kept manageable, but you do need to know what you're doing to adjust some of the parameters. However if you're tech savvy, it's easy to figure out.
Thank you. I guess I’ll just keep it simple.